My Soviet Orders and Medals Collection

PaulR

I want to share with you all my Soviet orders and medals. I will share macro views of my groups and over time, present them individually.

This first set is to a cook. The highlights for me in this one are the Belgrade Medal and double Military Merit. The only award that is not long service is the earlier Military Merit. It was awarded for providing tasty meals to the officers and men. Strangely, the two serial numbers on the Military Merit medals are only 80 apart from one another.

post-185263-0-62309200-1543118934_thumb.jpg

Next is a group with an Order of the October Revolution. It is researched and the Order of the Red Star was awarded for two serious wounds, Comrade Mukhin received in WW 2.

post-185263-0-54069400-1543119590_thumb.jpg

It is very nice to see someone else that has a collection of Soviet awards. They have fallen out of favor over the years, one reason being the inflated prices from dealers another is the cost of research and translation.

That is a good collection, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words all. I e been collecting these beautawards since 1991. Some of them actually were newish when I bought them, earning a lot of their patina in my custody :(

What attracts me to them is the ability to research, which provides many with an identity and life. Each medal, as with mist worldwide, is more than a 20 dollar trinkett, but a representation of sweat, tears, and many cases, blood.

When I was younger, first starting off in the military, they are the only major Collectables I could afford. I was honestly shocked to see the value explosion in the 2003-2015 era and am actually happy to see things returning to a reasonable level. I think most have a way to fall before its over. Despite this, I think the days of 5 dollar ORS and 20 dollar ORB are long gone.

I almost forgot to include this set to a life-long NCO. The funny thing is that I originally bought about half of the group for about 40 dollars. A really good collecting friend found the other half of this amazing set for sale on a Russian (literally) site. I was so excited to reunite this group! The only thing missing is his 1985 OGPW1. I dont think that I will ever find that one.

post-185263-0-23096000-1543204863_thumb.jpg

Senior Sergeant Chiabrashvili, Iraklii Vasilevich; Order of Glory 3rd Class, Bravery Medal, Labor Merit, Victory over Germany, Order of the Great Patriotic War 2nd Class(1985). assigned the mission to recon the lead edge of the ’s defense. Penetrating to the lead edge while under heavy enemy rifle and MG fire, Chiabrashvili obtained the necessary information about the enemy and captured two prisoners which he delivered to the Command Post. He displayed bravery while accomplishing his mission..

post-185263-0-81439300-1543205103.jpg

Order of Red Banner of Labor grouping to Efim Petrovich Trandasir. Based upon decree dates, it is theorized that they were awarded for agricultural excellence (Beet farming).

post-185263-0-65415200-1543293756.jpg

post-185263-0-04125100-1543293773.jpg

Documents and Award Cards make groups all the better. I think the Red Banner of Labor is one of the best looking Soviet Awards, that and the Nevsky. Looking forward to seeing more.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul, great collection of Soviet awards. I did pretty well living in Bishkek from 2014-17, and have boxes of Soviet and Kyrgyz awards. At some point I have to go through and figure out which I am keeping and which I am going to sell.