Nationalist Chinese Officer Tunic

Hsin C.

Here is my Nationalist Chinese Lt. General tunic. Right after the end of the war, new regulations came out in regards to uniforms and ranks.

Although, it came out around 1946, there isn't a specific nomenclature for it or I haven't seen it so far. Uniforms were redesigned and are similar to the US, but still retains the Zhongshan uniform look. Ranks were replaced with similar style to American types and basically remained somewhat unchanged til today under the ROCA on Taiwan.

This one still uses the old collar tabs as most uniforms still used them early on. I think by 1947-48, most officers switched them by then. The ski caps was replaced by the visor peaked types with a new wreath insignia. I have seen some CBI collectors confuse the insignias as WWII.

Also, the swords and daggers weren't used anymore. I can see why a lot of Chinese officer daggers were brought back by US CBI servicemen after the war because they weren't needed, plus they make great thank you gifts by the Chinese too. :)

post-185326-0-41322400-1543210585_thumb.jpg

This is the most amazing piece I've seen in a long time. Super rare. Was the first rank insignia very similar/identical to those used by the Japanese? I'd love to get my hands on a decal'ed German-made helmet.

Thanks guys. ^_^

I think the Chinese first came out with the collar rank tabs in the early or mid 1930s or so. The Japanese didn't use rank tabs until late 1930s when they switched to the Type 98 uniform? Correct me if I am wrong.

They should be stenciled by the Chinese themselves. Even a few M35s made it to Taiwan.

• 1 month later...
captainofthe7th

Hsin - thank you for sharing this uncommon uniform. Did the ranks change from collar tabs to being worn on the shoulders?

Rob

Thanks Scarecrow!

Thanks Rob. Yes, the ranks were moved to the shoulders. Some officers kept the tabs for a bit.

This general has his on with the photo dated 36th year 三六年(1947) I think the double 7 (七七)below is July 7th?

post-185326-0-41506100-1547361922_thumb.jpg

This officer (first in line) has his on the shoulder. His rank looks like Captain (three silver bars). On the collar would be the infantry insignia or maybe these guys are MPs so it would be the MP insignia instead. The helmets seems to have the lotus MP insignia. Its weird that the Cpt does not have the piping on his sleeve, maybe it is too dark to see. The officer on the right does have piping (probably yellow since it is light in color). Red for general officers, yellow for field officers, blue for company officers.

The ranks are still used in Taiwan today.

post-185326-0-23309600-1547362318_thumb.jpg