Military Motorcycles

MECHINF-A15

Great motorcycle photos!

As an old police motorcycle guy myself, here is one of my favorites. This is a photo of the Vienna Police just prior to the German Annexation of Austria. Notice that the first motor guy in line is riding an American Indian motorcycle.

Austrian Pol holster.jpg

SOME REALLY. interesting photos. Love the old Zundapp and BMW bikes. Had the pleasure of owning an R69S. around 1972. , super beautiful ride and dependable.

Germany depended on these for a variety of missions. I can't say for certain but I believe there was an auto biography published concerning a BMW rider in Russia during

WW II.

Sarge, great photo you posted! Retread & Tony thanks for the kind words.

Here is a shot of Kradschützen negotiating a rough trail.

Speaking of Kradschützen I had a great, late friend who was the Company Commander

in 2./Kradschützen-Btl. 20 in Russia. More to come on him.

post-185217-0-86577600-1543439625.jpg

Here is another view (as in post #3) of the NSKK member instructing Motor HJ boys

on a Motorbike. Any ideas on the maker and model of this bike?

post-185217-0-59045000-1543439776.jpg

Here is a good shot of a three man Polizei crew with their machine gun mounted on the side car. These set-ups were used by Military Police (Feldgendarmerie) and other active service police division crews. This particular crew is from Essen as can be seen from the vehicle markings on the side car. Also, a couple of police issue postcards showing Motor Cops and their uniforms.

I have a photograph album of a German municipal motorcycle policeman just prior to the war. It seems he was issued his motorcycle as a take-home vehicle and there are photos of him working on it at the police garage and riding it off duty with his wife on the back. Along with the regular uniformed duty he performed he went on a rally. These were called a Sternfahrt and were yearly police motorcycle trips that checked in at various check points set up by the police as a timed run from place to place over a long course. This couple camped by the side of the road and flew their Star traveling pennant from the handlebars during the trek. It seems they had great fun on his police issue bike.

Pol Motorcycle ZB26.jpg

Knötel Motorcycle Gendarm.jpg

Knötel Motorcycle Traffic.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice shots KVS! Thank you for posting. Your are indeed correct on the ID in post # 17

The Unteroffizier in this picture is a member of the Feldgendarmarie.

• 1 month later...

I picked this photo up at the SOS in 2016 and have been unable to identify the unit emblem on this Krad. Thought I'd post it here to see if anyone might have an idea. Thanks in advance for any help!

post-185270-0-20301700-1550543382.jpg

And a little closer image of the emblem. Appears to possibly be a drum with crossed drumsticks above, but I could be entirely wrong! Wouldn't be the first time today! ;)

post-185270-0-66456400-1550543427.jpg

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

What brands of motorcycles did the german army use besides bmw?

Zündapp is another manufacturer that immediately comes to mind. They made a model for heavy-duty military sidecar use, the KS750. DKW (Dampf-Kraft-Wagen, I think) and NSU (NSU Motorenwerke) also produced motorcycles for the Wehrmacht, or at least civilian models adapted to military use. NSU also produced the Kettenkrad. There are more, of course. And bikes were also taken for military use from occupied nations.

• 1 year later...