What are rarest British formation signs?

Mortaydc60

New to this forum but a long time collector. Think that this type of information will be most helpful to the forum especially the newer members and newer collectors so that they know what to look for in the future. Realize rare can be interpreted different ways; could just elite units, etc. Anxious to learn what forum members think .

Mort,

That is difficult to say. Scarcity, desirability, supply and demand. Just as in U.S collecting those factors would impact the answer. Elite units command a premium. SAS,..Popski's Private Army,.. LRDG.

Right at the top I would say the WW2 cloth beret badge for the RSR "Raiding Support Regiment"...

WW1 Signs can also be scarce and pricey.

I am glad you used the British term "formation signs" as that is how they are referred to for the most part.

As rare as SAS and other exotic unit insignia can be, there are tons of formations signs out there that are really hard to find. WWII Armored Brigades are pretty hard to find on their own. Unlike US patches, British formations signs can be tougher to collect. The relative rarity of many of the patches along with the higher average cost can be off-putting.

-Ski

Ski, all good points. Mixed in with the lack 0f availability here in the US to many signs as well the problem with reproductions. As time allows I will post some of my collection for reference.

Let me respond or clarify my question to mostly WW2 formation signs. Will start off with I think fill the bill specifically. fisrt to mind is #1 Commando,than Jewish Bde,PWE, Land forces Adriatic,Dodecanese Force,HQ Balkans and as mentioned the armor bde's. You could make the argument that most of the Indian units would qualify. What I have noticed on the British militaria websites for formation signs is the demand and high price for what are combinations of formation sign and service stripes,etc. as shown above in post #6.Hope others can add to the list.

Being a long time collector and one of the very few who collected American, British & Commonwealth and German Insignia. British insignia has always commanded higher prices being the middle ground between American and German collectibles. Special forces insignia are some of most sought after insignia, therefore command very high prices especially for less common items.

These are what i would consider harder to find & Scarce FS.

Special Forces:

Political Warfare Executive (PWE)
British Military HQ to the Balkans
British Army Aid Group (BAAG)
Indian Field Broadcast Units
Lushai Brigade

Armoured:

255th Indian Tank Brigade
1st Armoured Replacement Group (C.M.F.)
3rd Armoured Brigade Group
1st Armoured Division (1st pattern)
16th Armoured Brigade
Collecting British & Commonwealth Insignia the term rare doesn't always mean " super high prices ", example Danish Brigade Group FS. The other thing to keep in mind is British Commonwealth Insignia can be a mine field and have been reproduced on large scale especially more sought after items.
CDub

Well I guess it is never too late to learn thank G-d. Never knew of BAAG or its insignia thanks for the information a big surprise. Do not believe it is in Coles book or in other references that I am aware of,so thanks.

Mort

Mort: BAAG was cover name for the SOE Mission 204, officially known as British Military Mission to China & Tulip Force.

Jack: Thanks, will also post some image as time permits.

Here are a few SOE insignia from my personal collection. All three are off battle dress.

Political Warfare Executive - PWE, Example was made in the Middle East

post-185392-0-07570500-1543959708.jpg

British Military HQ to the Balkans, Embroidered example was made in Cairo, Egypt

post-185392-0-36773900-1543959842.jpg

British Military HQ to the Balkans, Printed example was made in Bari, Italy

post-185392-0-31051700-1543959877.jpg

CDub

• 3 weeks later...

Want to add a couple to post. One is my PWE. The next is my Balkans and last a pair of Dodecanese badges. Have another Dodecanese that there is question about and Jack( Irish) had doubts of it being right so will post so others can see and add to opinion. the one in question is the single example and shows back of sign.

post-185477-0-98673300-1545698053_thumb.jpg

post-185477-0-78787200-1545698145_thumb.jpg

post-185477-0-43082300-1545698192_thumb.jpg

post-185477-0-48901700-1545698387_thumb.jpg

post-185477-0-30514200-1545698412_thumb.jpg

Have another i would like to share with the forum and that is the Malaysian Anti-Japanese Group badge which has some OSS connection

Mort,

The badge has been mistakenly referred to as Malayan People Against Japanese Army for many years, it's actually a Force 136 Malaya cap badge. The MPAJA wore a red patch with yellow stars.

CDub

Gunslinger thanks for reply but believe your information is partially correct. Force 136 was comprised of approximately 150 Canadian Chinese mainly from Vancouver. They were trained by SOE and wore on their uniform the SEAC patch. They contacted this organization and worked with them and wore their badge the badge of the MPAJA. Besides an SOE connection there is also OSS connection. Think of it as similar to the 3rd Zouave badge worn by 509th situation.

Gunslinger thanks for reply but believe your information is partially correct. Force 136 was comprised of approximately 150 Canadian Chinese mainly from Vancouver. They were trained by SOE and wore on their uniform the SEAC patch. They contacted this organization and worked with them and wore their badge the badge of the MPAJA. Besides an SOE connection there is also OSS connection. Think of it as similar to the 3rd Zouave badge worn by 509th situation.

Force 136 was part of SOE.

It comprised more than just Canadians.

It wasn't anything like the 3rd Zouave badge situation.

https://www.509thgeronimo.org/insignia/3rd_zouave_regiment_badge_early/izouaves.html

post-185365-0-35869800-1545945529_thumb.jpg