Yet another Hinomaru flag

KVSkelton

Greetings all! I've had this flag for a while now. It's 105 cm x 74 cm. I believe it to be good but would appreciate any input y'all may have about it. Thanks for your time! -Kev

post-185270-0-48159800-1544031082_thumb.jpg

post-185270-0-02413700-1544031104_thumb.jpg

Presented to Okada (surname) 岡田 Masayuki (given name) 正幸 when he entered the service.

Thank you very much, Sir! That is greatly appreciated!

Kev

Very cool flag! I'd like to get one of these someday, but I don't have the space to properly display it.

Thanks MattS! I agree they can be difficult to display properly. I'm happy to have this one in my collection.

Kev

Except for the one on my rifle, they do seem to stay folded up. Nice Flag!

Here's how I display mine...

I would say that the majority of these I've seen did not have the ties because - as I understood it - these were carried folded up and were not meant to be flown from a pole (or rifle).

I would say that the majority of these I've seen did not have the ties because - as I understood it - these were carried folded up and were not meant to be flown from a pole (or rifle).

That makes sense, I understand they were good luck keepsakes and not for flying.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm catching up on some of older posts, so forgive a late response. This falls under "Buy the book before you buy the coin" warning. There is a book currently available by Michael Bortner called "Imperial Japanese Good Luck Flags and One Thousand Stitch Belts". If you want to learn about "yoshigaki hinomaru" flags, this book would be a wise investment given the number of old and new fake flags that are currently being sold here in US auctions and shows and those coming out of Japan. Especially the art work flags ! The original photographs of soldiers carrying these flags as well as pictures of flags in private collections are great and his research and information is even better. He also has a web site under "Japan History Today". For the collector this book is well worth the time and expense.