Some British Medal Groups......

Here are some British Medal groups to share....

A Group of 4 to an artilleryman including the Military Medal. I Had the group mounted while I was in the UK and I was fortunate to have some original ribbon to use! You can no longer get watered ribbons (like the WWI Victory and 1915 Star) as the technique is impossible to replicate today.

-Ski

post-185479-0-68865400-1544059296_thumb.jpg

This group was saved from being split up and sold seperately. I traded my patched helmet bag for it at a show in the UK. My dealer friend felt it wasn't worth keeping together because it is unnamed. I say rubbish! I love the 5 star combo which is unusual.

-Ski

post-185479-0-86487600-1544059417_thumb.jpg

This group is unusual as it features a WWI trio with the Mercantile Marine War Medal. Usually Merchant Marine groups only have the MM medal and the WWI War Medal. This guy had a short service stint with the Army Service Corps and was discharged to join the MM. Being from Lowestoft, he doubtlessly was a fisherman, whereby his skills were valued more at sea than on land!

-Ski

post-185479-0-16911700-1544059644_thumb.jpg

This is a typical long service group to an artilleryman who retired as a Warrant Officer 2nd Class. I replaced the ribbon on the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal as it had completely fallen apart.

-Ski

post-185479-0-09020600-1544059730_thumb.jpg

Here is a typical colonial service WWI pairing of an India General Service Medal with the Afghanistan 1919 bar and the WWI War Medal. Service in the colonies during WWI did not rate the WWI Victory Medal so it isn't missing. This guy was a driver with the 4th Artillery Brigade. He hailed out of Norfolk. This pairing was minted in India, indicated by the claw crimping on the IGSM and the slightly oversized War Medal.

-Ski

post-185479-0-81738900-1544059988.jpg

A typical Boar War pairing to a trooper of the 13th Hussars. It shows the high quality that British medals are known for and both medals are named, of course.

-Ski

post-185479-0-91924200-1544060178.jpg

A Mons Star Trio to a Medical Corpsman who was disharged in 1915 for "Illness" a common thread in the medal rolls for the Medical Corps. He was not entitled to the bar on the Mons Star in case you were wondering.

-Ski

post-185479-0-40017900-1544060284_thumb.jpg

A lot of you know my signature with the tributes.....Well, this is Isaac Judges who was killed in action on October 3rd 1917. He was 37 years old. His medals come with his Memorial Medallion which features his name in raised letters. I was actually lucky to find his records which survived the German bombing. It is hard to read due to the burn damage. He was married for 18 years and had a son. His wife remarried after the war.

-Ski

post-185479-0-98785200-1544060847_thumb.jpg

And finally, Harold Griffiths; the youngest of 10 children who was lost during the furious attack in the Third Battle of Krithia in the Gallipoli campaign. His Memorial Medallion is missing, but I have both his medal transmittal slips. The slips refer to a "Madam" and thanks to Ancestry.com, I was able to discover that she was his oldest sister. I couldn't imagine what those last days were like for him. It is why I treasure these medals so much. So much was lost for these gongs. Thanks for looking!

-Ski

post-185479-0-25165600-1544061099_thumb.jpg

... I love the 5 star combo which is unusual. ...

AWESOME medals. I'm not a medals guy, but these are fascinating. I'm curious, in the post with the five six-point star medals, it appears the medals are the same, but the ribbons different. Strike that - I see the medals are different now - I can make out "PACIFIC", "GERMANY", "ITALY" (can't make out the first two). I presume campaigns?

AWESOME medals. I'm not a medals guy, but these are fascinating. I'm curious, in the post with the five six-point star medals, it appears the medals are the same, but the ribbons different. Strike that - I see the medals are different now - I can make out "PACIFIC", "GERMANY", "ITALY" (can't make out the first two). I presume campaigns?

Exactly. These are campaign stars. Certain stars are not worn together, thus if you look at the Jutland medal group in the other thread, you will see a Pacific bar on the Burma Star. The bar represents the Pacific Star but the two aren't worn together; only the first one earned. There are others such as the Air Crew Europe Star is worn with a France and Germany Bar...... There is a whole discussion on that alone! Believe it or not, England just authorized two new stars in the last couple years, a whopping 70+ years after the war! One of them is the Arctic Star.

-Ski

post-185479-0-46219600-1544102992_thumb.jpg

captainofthe7th

Hey Ski -- great variety of pairs and groups to exhibit the vast realm of British medals! The colonial sets are especially fascinating and maybe romantic is a good word to use, but I am always most fond of the WWII sets. Your five star combo is indeed unusual. What kind of service would warrant all of that service? Naval wouldn't surprise me, but I would expect to see an Atlantic Star if that was the case.

Thanks for sharing.

Rob

Hey Ski -- great variety of pairs and groups to exhibit the vast realm of British medals! The colonial sets are especially fascinating and maybe romantic is a good word to use, but I am always most fond of the WWII sets. Your five star combo is indeed unusual. What kind of service would warrant all of that service? Naval wouldn't surprise me, but I would expect to see an Atlantic Star if that was the case.

Thanks for sharing.

Rob

Yeah, I envisioned some sort of staff officer given the mention in dispatches palm device and the 1953 Coronation Medal. Unfortunately, we will never know for sure. The group could have gone to some military journalist or photographer for all we know. Your astute observation of the lack of an Atlantic Star bar would help rule out a navy guy. By the way, this is the max allowable number of stars that can be worn.

-Ski

Nice indeed. The group with both the Memorial Plaque and Scroll is very complete.

Wharf

The scroll isn't original. You can get copies made of them. I wish it was original as they are extremely hard to find!!

-Ski

Paperwork is hard to find on WWI British medals due to the loss of over 85% of the records to German bombing in WWII. That is so unfortunate as they answer a lot of questions! Here is a page from Judges' records showing his assignment to the 6th Battalion of the East Yorkshire Regt and a record of his personal effects. Isaac Judges was in the Engineers and was transferred to a line regiment due to a huge demand for skilled labor.

-Ski

post-185479-0-76210800-1544112591_thumb.jpg