Moroccan Fez Help with positive ID and age

Old Marine

Hello all,

I picked up this Fez a long time ago at the flea market. Judging by the insignia with the Crescent, Rifles and the Moroccan Star, I am pretty sure this is a Colonial Moroccan Military Fez. I have never been able to positively identify it or the unit insignia or to determine the vintage of this cap. In photos I have seen this type of Fez worn by a lot of North African and other African colonial troops, it seems to be a fairly common and widely used pice of head gear.

If anyone can shed any light on exactly what I have here I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

post-185204-0-48073000-1544131730_thumb.jpg

Very neat! I know very little about these and most other North African militaria but, I am trying to learn since I'll be in the Morocco and Tunisia region in 2019.

This is related to the Spanish IFNI province of Spanish Morocco. I think if you search IFNI on line you may come up with something more definitive. There was also a Spanish IFNI war in the late 50s

Irish,

You are right, this Fez and insignia belong to the Spanish Tiradores de IFNI. This was a Spanish Military unit that operated in the Spanish/Moroccan province of Ifni from about 1885 to 1960.

I poached this photo from a Spanish Language site about the 1958 Ifni war. The photo shows the same type of Fez and the guideon has the same insignia.

I am guessing that this Fez and insignia is probably from the 1950s.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia page if you are interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifni_War

post-185204-0-17782000-1544229518.jpg