Zollschutz (Customs) Uniforms

SARGE

Gents,

I thought I would post a series of Zollschutz (Customs) uniforms as they changed a bit over time. The first I will show is a Kleiner Rock, also referred to as a Joppe, double breasted Zollbeamte (Reichsfinanzverwaltung) uniform that was worn from the time of the Weimar Republic into the early NS Zeit. The tunic is double breasted green wool with lower slit pockets, French cuffs, and hochrot (deep red) piping. The collar tabs are black with hochrot piping and the tunic has plain polished gilt Assmann buttons throughout. These collar tabs remained the same for various RFV ranks and the shoulder boards are the standard Zoll style with green/silver thread and gilt ciphers and rank pips. This particular tunic has a Koln tailor label in the neck and a removable white collar liner is still present. The straight leg trousers were black with hochrot piping on the legs.

Period uniform plate from "Uniformenfibel", Offene Worte, Berlin, 1933.

Zollschutz tunic.JPG

Zollschutz tunic back.JPG

Zollschutz unif tag.JPG

Zollschutz collar tab.JPG

Zollschutz shoulder board.JPG

Zollschutz Joppe.JPG

The double breasted Zollschutz Joppe was worn alongside a single breasted tunic that evolved over time while the double breasted style was left behind during the NS Zeit. Both styles were worn concurrently during a wearing out period of time that allowed for the issue of the new uniforms while wearing out the old models.

The single breasted Joppe was made of the same green cloth but had un-piped French cuffs, concealed buttons on the front, and pleated breast pockets. The single breasted tunic had no colored piping nor did it have collar tabs as this was more of a work tunic. This single breasted tunic further evolved to have exposed pebbled gilt buttons on the front and Litzen style collar tabs along with the RFV rank shoulder boards. As time went by the eagle & swastika were added to the peaked cap and the distinctive Zoll eagle & swastika sleeve band was added above the left cuff. This single breasted uniform continued in wear until it was replaced by yet another uniform change.

In the photograph, from a private photograph album, note the transitional uniforms in wear. The Beamte on the left is wearing the old style cap with added eagle & swastika along with his exposed button Joppe. The Beamte in the foreground has a new cap along with a sleeve eagle on his Joppe like the example shown below. The others wear the new style Landzoll tunic with dark collars and new collar tabs that indicate their pay grade (rank).

The second color uniform plate below from "Uniformenfibel" shows both the double breasted and single breasted Landzoll Joppe with concealed closure buttons along with the old style caps with Hochrot piping. As indicated in the uniform plates the Wasserzoll tunic was dark blue instead of green.

RFV early tunic.JPG

RFV early tunic back.JPG

RFV early tunic collar.JPG

RFV early tunic collar tabs.JPG

RFV early tunic shoulderboards.JPG

Zollschutz.jpg

Zollschutz uniforms.JPG

Beautiful and focused collection. Did the second type you own ever have the CT eagle?

There is no evidence that my tunic ever had a Zoll eagle cuff band. I don't think the fellow wearing this style of tunic on the left in the picture has one on either. The fellow in the front clearly does have the cuff band. These insignia variations typically occur when uniform changes happen. One will always find photographs like this that break the rules. I have learned to say: "never say never" when discussing insignia regulations.

There is no evidence that my tunic ever had a Zoll eagle cuff band. I don't think the fellow wearing this style of tunic on the left in the picture has one on either. The fellow in the front clearly does have the cuff band. These insignia variations typically occur when uniform changes happen. One will always find photographs like this that break the rules. I have learned to say: "never say never" when discussing insignia regulations.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Thank you so much for sharing your beauties with us!

Here is the final regulation style uniform for the Landzoll. The other three fellows in the photograph above are wearing this style of uniform that was worn until the end of the war. It consisted of a green tunic with green piping and exposed pebbled white metal buttons throughout. The tunic collar is dark green with the then new pay grade collar tabs that indicate your rank. The shoulder boards remain green and aluminum with RFV ciphers and pips that also indicate rank. Basically, the more aluminum and the less green in your shoulder boards and cap cords the higher your pay grade. The tunic also had green piped French cuffs and a green sleeve band with the distinctive Zoll eagle with upturned wing tips sewn just above the left cuff.

One should remember that these Customs agents did not only inspect goods and collect tolls and tariffs at ports of entry but also actively guarded the boarder along with the Grenzpolizei and other law enforcement agencies. As "Grenzers" they actively patrolled the boarder on foot, horseback, vehicle, and boat looking for smuggling or illegal entry or exit from the Reich. Active duty Customs Officers involved in Grenzschutz duty also wore Heer style uniforms that they received from Army stores. So, one will see photographs of them wearing what appear to be Heer tunics, belts, etc. with subdued insignia. This particular tunic has subdued collar tabs with the embroidery done in grey thread instead of aluminum wire.

The Landzoll peaked cap can be seen on this related thread:

http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/313891-zollschutz-customs-peaked-cap/

RFV tunic.JPG

RFV back.JPG

RFV collar tab.JPG

RFV shoulder board.JPG

RFV sleeveband.JPG

Finally, here is an example of the Landzoll greatcoat. It is made in the standard design for greatcoats with a green body and a dark green collar. Notice that the Zoll sleeve band is worn on the left sleeve, sewn just above the top of the French cuff. One will also find these coats with an oval brass Zollschutz shield sewn to the upper left arm.

Landzoll greatcoat.JPG

Landzoll back.JPG

Landzoll shoulder board.JPG

Landzoll sleeveband.JPG

Finally, here is an example of the Landzoll greatcoat. It is made in the standard design for greatcoats with a green body and a dark green collar. Notice that the Zoll sleeve band is worn on the left sleeve, sewn just above the top of the French cuff. One will also find these coats with an oval brass Zollschutz shield sewn to the upper left arm.

Sarge,

Thanks so much for posting these wonderful examples! Fantastic collection you have there! I have a question if you don't mind. You speak of the oval brass Zollschutz shield. Were these sewn directly to the upper left arm of the mantel or were they attached to an armband which was then worn? Or both? I do not have an oval brass Zollschutz shield in my collection but would definitely like to add one at some point! Thanks again for posting these!

Kev

Kev,

The oval brass Zollschutz shield has holes along the edge to sew the shield to the sleeve. I have seen photographs of it done both ways. Either sewn directly to the upper sleeve or sewn onto a dark colored armband which, I presume, is then sewn (attached) to the sleeve. I don't have one to show either but each shield has a serial number at the bottom.

Kev,

The oval brass Zollschutz shield has holes along the edge to sew the shield to the sleeve. I have seen photographs of it done both ways. Either sewn directly to the upper sleeve or sewn onto a dark colored armband which, I presume, is then sewn (attached) to the sleeve. I don't have one to show either but each shield has a serial number at the bottom.

Thanks for the reply, Sarge! I had only seen those sheilds on armbands, so I wasn't sure if they had also been applied directly to the uniform. Good to know for sure! Sorry it took me nearly a week to reply, though! ;)

Kev