Babylon Berlin - Weimar Republic, Interwar Years

SARGE

The series "Babylon Berlin" on Netflix is another outstanding series on Germany during the time of the Weimar Republic.

This discussion has been broken away from the discussion of the two television series on the DDR.

Posted Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Salvage Sailor, on 13 Dec 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:snapback.png

On 12/13/2018 at 8:12 AM, Salvage Sailor said:

As an aside, has anyone been watching Babylon Berlin set during the period of the Weimar Republic? Another excellent German series with 2 seasons produced and a third now in post.

Yes, I watched it and thought it was excellent. They really got the period Berlin Police uniforms and equipment right. The time of the Weimar Republic was chaotic and this series certainly illustrates the anything goes attitude. If you thought that the "Roaring Twenties" was wild viewing this series about the "anything goes" attitude in Berlin will change your mind about what "wild" is.

"You can't please everyone so you have got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Posted Yesterday, 09:54 PM

SARGE, on 13 Dec 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:snapback.png

Yes, I watched it and thought it was excellent. They really got the period Berlin Police uniforms and equipment right. The time of the Weimar Republic was chaotic and this series certainly illustrates the anything goes attitude. If you thought that the "Roaring Twenties" was wild viewing this series about the "anything goes" attitude in Berlin will change your mind about what "wild" is.

I started it, and really need to get back to it. I am sure it was fully researched for authenticity. What I found shocking was the treatment and disregard of shell shocked veterans as "weaklings".

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

I have not seen a notice for a second season. I would like to see another one just to see how they treat the Political Police in the plot and his promotion along with the new Policewoman who clawed herself to the top.

Salvage Sailor

Soviets, Whites, Trotskyites, Spies, Weimar army, Versailles politics, shell shocked veterans, Police paramilitaries, SA brownshirts.....Gold, vice and graft

The seasons differ in Europe and the US. There were (2) seasons of (8) episodes released in Germany, but in the US it's lumped together as 'season 1' of (16) episodes.

Season 3 (Season 2 in the US on Netflix) is in production now, no release date set yet.

Trailers: https://www.netflix.com/title/80136321

• 1 year later...

Season 3 of Babylon Berlin is now out on Netflix. I watched the first episode last night and it was excellent. A continuation of the gritty police story with the same characters and yet another murder to be solved.

Highly recommended.

Awesome!, I'm starting right o now, I love the first two seasons, or one big season whatever. it's great. Thanks for the heads up

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Love the officer's 1907 Dreyse pistol. I have one.

Yep,

This example is a 1907 Dreyse that was carried over from the Imperial German Polizei (property marked on the side of the frame) to the time of the Weimar Republic (property marked on the slide and grip strap).

Dreyse 1907 l grip.JPG

• 1 year later...

Willkommen! And bienvenue! Welcome!
Fremder, étranger, stranger
Glücklich zu sehen
Je suis enchanté
Happy to see you
Bleibe, reste, stay

Leave your troubles outside
So life is disappointing, forget it!
In here life is beautiful
The girls are beautiful
Even the orchestra is beautiful

136614_full.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2018 at 9:34 AM, SARGE said:

Posted Yesterday, 09:54 PM

SARGE, on 13 Dec 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:snapback.png

I started it, and really need to get back to it. I am sure it was fully researched for authenticity. What I found shocking was the treatment and disregard of shell shocked veterans as "weaklings".

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

I just finished Season 3 and I can't wait for Season 4.  With no spoilers, there are plenty of twists and turns, supposed friends becoming enemies, and unexpected alliances.  Even though it is fiction,  it gives a window into the chaos of the Weimar years.

Salvage Sailor

Babylon Berlin Season 4 is under development, likely to premiere in Q2 2022

SPOILER ALERT!!!  Do Not Click on the Link Above unless you want to know what happened in the Season 3 Cliffhanger episode

remote.webp