ME109 Vertical Stabilizer

militbuff

I listed this recent pickup on the USMF and the Wehrmacht Forum and figured I would list it here as well for a trifecta!

I picked up this ME109 vertical stabilizer from on a recent group purchase. It was with a whole group of items (USAAF uniforms and paperwork) that I got about 10 days back directly from the son of a WWII vet who was a B24 pilot stationed in Italy during the war.

After speaking with various forum members, it appeared that he brought the tail back with him on his B24 when they flew back to the USA in May/June 1945. As you can see in the document, it shows up in his customs declaration.

According to the 12oclock high forum, there are records that show it was test flown at Regensburg on 6.07.43 and destroyed in a bomb raid at Leverano on 23.07.43, when it belonged to 10./JG 3 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=52740). Thats apparently a shranpnel hole on the tail from the raid.

He also brought back an Italian helmet (see Italian section), two German sea flags and two Italian flags. I haven't taken pics of the flags yet but will do so soon.

Enjoy! Dan

post-185185-0-51183200-1545012731_thumb.jpeg

• 3 months later...

In case anyone is interested the ME109 vertical stabilizer is now up for auction at Cowan’s Auctions along with the provenance papers in the May 1-2 Historic Firearms and Early Militaria Premier Auction (https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/ve...mpaign-3936367).

In addition, the 2 German sea flags, the 2 Italian sea flags and the Italian helmet that came with the piece are up for auction as well at Cowans. The pictures for the latter items will be online very soon.