A Khyber Pass copy of a Webley pistol

Kanemono

A Khyber Pass copy of a commercial contract Webley Pocket Model revolver in 38 S&W caliber. This pistol was manufactured by cottage gunsmiths in the Khyber Pass region between Pakistan and Afghanistan. The area has long had a reputation for producing unlicensed, homemade copies of firearms using whatever materials are available – more often than not, railway rails, scrap motor vehicles, and other scrap metal. The quality of such firearms varies widely, ranging from as good as a factory-produced example to dangerously poor. Generally inferior workmanship, including weak or soft metal, poorly finished wood, and badly struck markings. This pistol is covered with fake British markings and proofs on all metal parts. It has horn grips with diamond checkering.

post-185184-0-10557800-1545494460_thumb.jpg

post-185184-0-60894700-1545494466_thumb.jpg

That is really interesting. I have known of these for quite some time and I'm pretty sure I have a fake "Brown Bess" I brought back from Afghanistan. I saw lots of Martini-Henry's for sale, but decided I'd get the type that had some US History instead. Thanks for posting it. One could probably make quite a collection of these Khyber Pass guns! Even AK's and RPG's if it were legal to have them imported!

Thanks for posting it.

BKW

As I recall these 'replica' fully functioning weapons are made in the city of Darra & have been for many,, many generations. Interesting collectibles. That is a very nice looking Webley. Thanks - Bob

• 1 year later...