South Korea Marines Tiger Stripe Camo in Vietnam

Bob Hudson

A "cruise book" for the joint US/Korea assault operation Defiant Stand in Vietnam has some nice photos of the Korean Marines kitted up for combat (and some photos of US Marines). The ROK 2nd Marine Brigade and the USMC 1st Battalion, 26th Marines did an amphibious assault on a barrier island, 55 km south of Da Nang in Sept. 1969.

The book, printed in Saigon, covers the ROKMC role in the joint assault. The Koreans launched their assault from the USS IWO JIMA.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Neat book. Rich A. in Pa.

They are well done photos - but here's a few words from an ROK military news release with the details:

"ROK Marines Storm VC Island Stronghold

By SGT. SONG JUNG II.

BARRIER ISLAND, Vietnam - The first amphibious landing in the 20-year history of the Korean Marines met heavy resistance Friday after the Marines stormed the beaches of Barrier Island 34 miles south of Da Nang.

Spokesmen reported 42 Viet Cong had been killed during the first phase of the operation as heavy fighting raged across the northern part of the island.

Initial reports said Korean casualties had so far remained light. One Marine was killed and six wounded.

The amphibious operation dubbed Defiant Stand, began with one battalion of Leathernecks from the 2nd ROK Marine Brigade wading ashore while another Marine battalion air-assaulted onto the opposite side of the island.

The Leathernecks also collected 25 weapons and 127 suspected Communists Friday. The operation was continuing as the Marines tightened their cordon toward the center of the island.

Barrier Island 70 square miles of wedge-shaped land, has long been a VC sanctuary. The Viet Cong were reportedly threatening Da Nang and Hoi An with rockets and mortars.

Several U.S. Navy assault ships and helicopters from a helo landing ship took part in the operation.

The Koreans took only 10 days to plan and refine the operations while working with U.S. Marine and Navy officials.

Twelve tracked landing vehicles (LVTS) brought ashore the first wave of troops. They were followed by numerous mechanized landing craft carrying flame and gun tanks and more troops.

Here's a photo page with some of the US Marines:

17.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In 1966-67 I was assigned to Marine Air Group 12 at Chu Lai, RVN and with us was the" 2nd Blue Dragons" ROK Marines. I was assigned to Air Ops my last few months and I got to know several of their pilots. They invited me to fly back seat in observation aircraft with them. My CO told me the group commander said he couldn't authorized a corporal to fly with the ROK's...but if during the course of my duties if I needed time off to do laundry I should be allowed to go and do that. My CO said I'm not giving you permission to fly with them but what you do on your time is your business". I understood what was being said so I told the ROK's to let me know if they needed me and I would go. The ROK Captain would yell over from his hut next to ours " Corporal, you want to fly with me today". I turned and ask my major "Sir, can I have a couple of hours to wash my gear ?". He would just wave me off and off I went. I would grab my rifle and a flak vest and out the door I went, walking over to the aircraft sitting 50 yards away. Everyone knew what I was doing but no one said a word. I have no idea how many other Marines ever got this kind of opportunity. My CO said to me one day laughing...."If something ever happens to you while you were doing your laundry, I have no idea how this will be explained. I flew a number of missions and we took fire and some hits but we always made it back to Chu Lai. The "Blue Dragons" were moved out shortly before I rotated home in April 67 but before leaving they gave me one of their beer can badges which I still wear on the collar of my leather jacket. Time takes its toll on the memory and I hope I have the names right, Captain Lee and Lt. Chun were the pilots I flew with. These were good and brave men and I am honored to have served with them. Semper Fi !

In 1966-67 I was assigned to Marine Air Group 12 at Chu Lai, RVN and with us was the" 2nd Blue Dragons" ROK Marines.

Thanks for sharing that.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...