Cuban FAR uniforms

pride

The service uniform shown here comes from a Company Sergeant Major. This rank belongs to the rank group of the professional sergeants (span. Sargentos profesionales instructores). This ranks are advanced to the normal Sergeants. Overall four ranks belong to this group from lowest to highest:

• Sargento instructor de pelotón (Platoon Sergeant Instructor)
  • Sargento mayor de compañía (Company Sergeant Major)
  • Sargento de plana mayor (Sergeant Major)
  • Sargento de estado mayor (Staff Sergeant)

(Text from https://cuba-militaria.org/ejercito/ )

Emerging in the 1970s and based on the French tenue du leopard camouflage design, the Cuban grey lizard pattern has remained in service into the present day. Consisting of dark grey & golden brown or brown stripes on medium grey background, the design is best known for its use by Cuban advisors to southern Africa. It is also worn by the Guantanamo Bay Border Guards. This design has also been worn by FAPLA and contemporary forces in Angola. Several manufacturers are known, resulting in a significant number of variations being produced over the years.

IMG-20181228-143018.jpg

Those are some great uniforms and I really appreciate you taking the time to share not only the items, but your knowledge as well.

Quick question for you, did the Cubans use the same lizard uniforms as were given to aid to the FAPLA (Angola)? Most Cuban uniforms I have seen come back from Africa have the FAPLA tags in them.

There were 2 different tags on cuban luzard: Triunfo and FAPLA. Both types were used in angolan battlefield and sometimes, but not often FAPLA marked uniforms returned to Cuba. Today the FAPLA labeled uniforms come from South Africa and have been captured during battle (like my cap)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A buddy of mine brought back a Cuban advisor's uniform from the Grenada invasion. They are an OD fatigue uniform, much like the tanker uniform that appears on post #23. My friend also brought home a "Cuban" steel helmet, but the markings inside show that it was Soviet-made. I assume that Cuban didn't make their own helmets?

I'll need to make contact with the buddy and see if I can get some photos to add.

Allan