Chindits Formation Sign Insignia

Mortaydc60

Mort,

The embroidered insignia on the top left and right are not of WWII time period. These believed to be post war Reproductions made for the Chindit Association. I see sellers touting these as originals all the time.

CDub

Mort,

The embroidered insignia on the top left and right are not of WWII time period. These believed to be post war Reproductions made for the Chindit Association. I see sellers touting these as originals all the time.

CDub

Interesting, had not heard this before.

Interesting, had not heard this before.

These were made in the UK with typical manufacture felt with paste back. I've seen about 12 of these copies for sale in the last year, every one of them were identical with black back threads.

Original Chindit insignia were only Locally made, hand embroidered and no two are alike. The base material used was wool not felt.

CDub

Major Bruce was awarded a bar to his Military Cross in September 1944, after his distinguished service commanding the Yorks and Lancs in Chindit Column 65.

post-185365-0-45745200-1546384630.jpg

Here are a couple from my collection

Embroidered

post-185392-0-00534500-1546463854.jpg

Bullion in silver - purchased this one to prevent it from under sold because the seller was told it was a " Paki reproduction " on the USMF. They don't come anymore Original than this example.

post-185392-0-86069600-1546463865.jpg
CDub

Has anybody ever encountered a Chindit title that was actually worn? I've probably seen fifty of them yet have never seen one that was actually in "used" condition.

Allan

Has anybody ever encountered a Chindit title that was actually worn? I've probably seen fifty of them yet have never seen one that was actually in "used" condition.

Allan

Allan, from what i recall the first time these titles were seen was in London sometime in 1945. Some collectors believe these were made for the Chindit association. It's a similar situation much like the SAARF wing which was not worn during the operation, the wing were produced after the troops had returned to the UK.

The Chindit badge were worn on the right sleeve of battle dress as early as 1943 after the first expedition. This shouldn't be confused with the Jungle uniform which only had the rank on their sleeves.

CDub

Here are a few repro made in the U.K. for the Chindit association after WWII.

As you can see all are identical and were made by the same manufacturer. The background color is the same on all badges with exception of different camera flash levels.

post-185392-0-39049000-1546886278_thumb.jpg

post-185392-0-99154300-1546886617.jpg

CDub

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the repros and especially the backs with the distinctive black threads. You had indicated that the top left and right in my case were post war made. I went back and checked my case and saw that you were absolutely correct on the right patch. The left patch does not fit the description and posting the front and back of the particular patch so you could better evaluate and would like to learn your assessment. Thanks for your help.

Mort

post-185477-0-33892500-1548043638_thumb.jpg

post-185477-0-69243600-1548043684_thumb.jpg

Sorry but i have to disagree, the FS in Post #1 Top left and right, Post #12 and Post # 13 are all undoubtedly English made, therefore are not Original period pieces. I'm sure this insignia can found with black or white back threads and directly embroidered with & without backing cloth which was common practice by English manufacturers.

These aren't consistent with known Original period piece in design and materials that were used. To my knowledge there never any Chindit insignia produced in the UK, none on felt or machine embroidered. This can be confirmed by a lack of supporting documentation and order from the War Department for these badges.

Below are some other Reproduction which were produced by either machine and hand embroidery both with and without the backing. These were made for reenactors.

post-185392-0-03498100-1548088554.jpg

Another that has shown recently, a very good quality but nonetheless it's a Reproduction. I'm sure these will be sold as Original in the future.

post-185392-0-93062200-1548088664_thumb.jpg

CDub

I believe they trying to replicate this insignia which is an Original Theatre * locally * made Chindit insignia. Most Special Forces insignia are of higher quality, as you can see the difference can be clearly seen between the original and reproductions.

Image is courtesy of Steve Bosley Auctions

post-185392-0-41627500-1548089236.jpg

CDub

Another variety within the Chindit patch family is the printed version. They do exist and are quite scarce. The comments below regarding this sign are digested from the British Commonwealth Badge forum. They have an example on that forum but I did not lift it for this discussion

"It is believed the printed sign was UK manufactured. Although no examples have appeared in period photographs. It is thought that these were worn only upon return to the U.K from the far east. they may have arrived in India just before the troops were sailing home at the end of the war...."

Another variety within the Chindit patch family is the printed version. They do exist and are quite scarce. The comments below regarding this sign are digested from the British Commonwealth Badge forum. They have an example on that forum but I did not lift it for this discussion

"It is believed the printed sign was UK manufactured. Although no examples have appeared in period photographs. It is thought that these were worn only upon return to the U.K from the far east. they may have arrived in India just before the troops were sailing home at the end of the war...."

Jack,

The discussion was whether or not the Embroidered badges were actually produced in the UK during WWII in which there is no record or order that can be found or at least i've never come across such a document.

Here is a example of an order for Royal Marines ST during the time period

post-185392-0-46940600-1548096531.jpg

The printed badge are typical Ordinance Issue and interestingly quite rare to find now days. The printed badges actually have photographic evidence of being worn on the return to the UK. Not sure i agree these printed badges were made in the UK since there are many examples of genuine printed badges made in Theatre locally.

However if any Embroidered or Printed badges were made in the UK prior to the Chindits returning to the UK, there would be a record of the order????????????????

CDub