Dutch Brodie type helmet

MattS

I've had this for many years but don't know what country it came from. There are no rivets or split pins on the shell for the strap loops. Any help is appreciated!

post-185417-0-51242400-1546581833_thumb.jpg

post-185417-0-54594400-1546581844.jpg

This is a Dutch helmet, from the 1950s I think. It was for civil defense forces I think. Some of these have a leather neck guard installed in them.

Thanks for the info! I think I gave $10 for it 20 years ago thinking it was British.

Don't worry, I don't think you did bad. I bought one nearly 20 years ago too, mine had the leather neck protector on it. They are interesting helmets.

RustyCanteen

A google search suggests the 'VB' on the rim stands for 'Verblifa' (the Dutch company which produced them) and gives a 1955-1956 production date.

Since this appears to be identified, I will edit the thread name to reflect it (but if someone knows an official designation, feel free to post a reply) and move it in to the appropriate section.

Yes, it's Dutch as already stated. The grey-greenish colour is typical for the 'BB' (Bescherming Burgerbevolking, Civil Defence) and the chinstraps are the same as used on the M1953 army helmet (Dutch M1 clone).

• 1 year later...