Japanese Dog Handler Photos

Eric Queen

I am always on the look out for these but are much harder to find than German dog photos. Have never seen a studio portrait.

edrf0003.jpg

vintageproductions

These are great images.

I agree with Eric in how hard these are to find as he and I have both heavily shopped Japan and I want to say I have owned less then a dozen.

• 1 month later...

I have seen s few pictures but they are few and far between. What I have in my personal collection are several army FOB's for military dogs. If you are interested in seeing them let me know. I'll try to get pictures off before I leave for the SOS Show.

Fortunes Of War

Terrific images Eric. I really enjoyed those; thank you for posting. I have a good luck flag that was presented to a war dog. The flag came with a photograph showing the handler and the dog with the flag draped over the dog's back. I have seen a couple of others over the years but this is the only one that I have acquired. Unfortunately, they are being stored in a place where I cannot get my hands on them, otherwise I would post.

• 2 weeks later...
Fortunes Of War

War dog items, especially photos are pretty interesting. I know that there are also award fobs and similar "award" pieces for dogs and their dog handlers. All of these things combine to make it its own separate mini-field of collecting within the larger aspect of Japanese militaria collecting. I did hear that there were some dog/dog handler items available at the SOS last week. John Egger reviewed this photo album that showed a Japanese war dog and soldier while visiting one of the many seller's booths. He has asked me to post the cover of the album, so here it is; thanks for showing John.

post-185927-0-84359100-1551131123.jpg

• 3 months later...
Eric Queen

Just picked this one up. Wasn't cheap but really liked the composition of the image.

jdh.jpg

• 2 months later...

Question for all you dog guys....

This may be getting a little out of this particular subject; But today on the Smithsonian channel they showed a WWII history segment and there was a short section on Russian war dogs that had explosives strapped to them. They were released toward German tanks and remotely blown up when they get to the tank ! I assume that this is true because they were showing some film footage...... its the first I have heard of it. Am I missing something or is it true?

tiger41

Question for all you dog guys....

This may be getting a little out of this particular subject; But today on the Smithsonian channel they showed a WWII history segment and there was a short section on Russian war dogs that had explosives strapped to them. They were released toward German tanks and remotely blown up when they get to the tank ! I assume that this is true because they were showing some film footage...... its the first I have heard of it. Am I missing something or is it true?

tiger41

True - and the US trained such dogs but never used according this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Eric,German sheperds are my favorite breed and in every photo of a Japanese dog handler I've seen ( not to take anything away from German sheperds), why they exclusivly use German sheps or mixed sheps?

Bill

Bill,

During this time the Japanese (as well as the Americans, Germans and I am sure other armies) tended to prefer German shepherds as messenger dogs. The Marines used only shepherds for messenger dogs (always with two handlers) and used dobermans for scout dogs (with one handler)