Verbandsabzeichen des Heeres – Bw Army SSI

Proud Kraut

Great post Lars and an excellent reference guide.

If we have pinned threads on the WMF, this should be pinned.

Terry

And pinned it is! I was thinking the same. Great job Lars!

Great threat Kraut! Very informative! So many I don't have too..... :(

-Ski

Ski, send me your want list. I'm always glad to help out a fellow collector,

Fantastic thread, you guys are pushing me ever closer to collecting SSI.

RC,

most of the depicted SSI are still easily to obtain because they were mass produced for decades. Of course there are a couple of rarer ones which some of these already reproduced so be aware of fakes. I think these are the collectors "most wanted" ones:

Bottom row left: Lehrtruppe Raketenartillerie (short living unit on Battalion, later Battery size)

Bottom row center: Panzerlehrbrigade 9 (produced in the mentioned color sequence but never worn, since the brigade's personnel wore a red shield with pink border, crossed sword and the letter "L"

Bottom row right: Panzergrenadierbrigade 37 (only a hand embroidered variant does exist, no evidence available if this patch ever was worn)

Top row, the "holy grail" of each Bw SSI collection:

Panzerregiment 100, 200, 300: (During the implementation of Army structure III, introduced in 1970, the set-up of 3 armored regiments on Corps level was proposed. Thus corps insignia for I., II., III. Corps with pink borders were produced by at least 2 different manufacturers. Panzerregiment 100 and 200 were set-up partially. Before Panzerregiment 300 was deployed the idea of armor regiments was cancelled in the mid 1970's. Woven variants are available online from time to time but original bullion variants are really tough to get. Depicted are vintage hand embroidered SSI in original wrapper.

MW.jpg

• 3 months later...
Proud Kraut

Update: Two more Verbandsabzeichen were released recently:

1. Kommando Feldjäger der Bundeswehr (MP Command) with orange branch color border

2. ABC-Abwehrkommando der Bundeswehr (NBC defence) with maroon branch color.

As far as I could find out a release of bullion variants is not scheduled yet.

19apr19 Kdo.jpg

• 3 months later...

Lars,

This is a great reference for Bw patches. I also have picked up some of these patches over the years but never figured out their meaning. You really laid out a clear guide to understanding the organization of the BW and identifying the insignia.

You have a fantastic collection and some of those patches have great designs and colors.

Thanks for posting this.

Proud Kraut

Thank you Dennis! If there are any Bw insignia you still can't ID, please post them here or send me a pm. I'm always glad if I can help out other Bw collectors.

• 4 years later...

Update: 2 years ago a new Aviation Command was established. The colors of the patch are referring to the color of the unit member´s berets (maroon) and the color of the German Army Aviation branch (grey).

HK01.jpg