SOVIET MAJOR-GENERAL'S COAT

BEAST

I was trying to find the right item to use for my first post on this forum. I picked this up in Leningrad back in the mid-1980s, trading a knock-off version of a Walkman cassette player for it. The coat is for a Major General in the Medical Corps.

post-185187-0-15467600-1547134265.jpg

post-185187-0-63964800-1547134273_thumb.jpg

post-185187-0-44514200-1547134308.jpg

• 3 months later...
Brian Keith

There was a time when there was a bunch of this Soviet stuff on the market, now, not so much. I'll bet the fake Walkman crapped out decades ago, but you still have the uniform! Did you ever ID all the ribbons?

BKW

There was a time when there was a bunch of this Soviet stuff on the market, now, not so much. I'll bet the fake Walkman crapped out decades ago, but you still have the uniform! Did you ever ID all the ribbons?

BKW

Brian, a long time ago another collector (RitchieC ?) on a different forum did identify them for me. Unfortunately, I can't find the printout that I made of the response.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A lot of the medal ribbons were faked after the fall of the Soviet union with many fantasy pieces being sold as the real thing. Not sure if this is real or not but some medals aren't in the correct order, for example, the Order of Lenin should be the first medal in the display as it's the highest value award in that bunch.

The medal ribbons if anybody is interested are as follows:

1. Order of the Red Star 2. Medal For Valour 3. Medal For Combat Service 4. Order of Lenin
5. Medal For Defence of Lenningrad 6. Medal For Victory Over Germany 7. Medal For 20th Anniversary of Patriotic War 8. Medal For 30th Anniversary of Patriotic War

9. Medal For Capture of Berlin 10. Medal For Liberation of Warsaw 11. Medal For 30th Jubilee of Soviet Armed Forces 12. Medal For 40th Jubilee of Soviet Armed Forces

13. Medal For 50th Jubilee of Soviet Armed Forces 14. Medal For 60th Jubilee of Soviet Armed Forces 15. Medal For 250th Anniversary of Leningrad 16. Medal For 10 Years Irreproachable Service

17., 18, 19, appear to be foreign medal ribbons from one of the Warsaw Pact countries.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, motorhate said:

A lot of the medal ribbons were faked after the fall of the Soviet union with many fantasy pieces being sold as the real thing. Not sure if this is real or not but some medals aren't in the correct order, for example, the Order of Lenin should be the first medal in the display as it's the highest value award in that bunch.

The medal ribbons if anybody is interested are as follows:

1. Order of the Red Star 2. Medal For Valour 3. Medal For Combat Service 4. Order of Lenin
5. Medal For Defence of Lenningrad 6. Medal For Victory Over Germany 7. Medal For 20th Anniversary of Patriotic War 8. Medal For 30th Anniversary of Patriotic War

9. Medal For Capture of Berlin 10. Medal For Liberation of Warsaw 11. Medal For 30th Jubilee of Soviet Armed Forces 12. Medal For 40th Jubilee of Soviet Armed Forces

13. Medal For 50th Jubilee of Soviet Armed Forces 14. Medal For 60th Jubilee of Soviet Armed Forces 15. Medal For 250th Anniversary of Leningrad 16. Medal For 10 Years Irreproachable Service

17., 18, 19, appear to be foreign medal ribbons from one of the Warsaw Pact countries.

Thanks Motorhate for the identification of the ribbons.  This coat dates prior to the fall of the wall and the Soviet Union.  I was attending university in Moscow during the summer of 1986 and spent a couple of weeks in Leningrad where I traded for the coat. 

8 hours ago, BEAST said:

Thanks Motorhate for the identification of the ribbons.  This coat dates prior to the fall of the wall and the Soviet Union.  I was attending university in Moscow during the summer of 1986 and spent a couple of weeks in Leningrad where I traded for the coat. 

Ah! Interesting. Obviously not fake then, in true English fashion, I apologise.

13 hours ago, motorhate said:

Ah! Interesting. Obviously not fake then, in true English fashion, I apologise.

No worries! You are absolutely correct, after the fall of the wall the fakes just swarmed in!