Post your Doggie Portraits !

Eric Queen

And a cool postcard. Notice the message tube on the collar.

The look in that dog's eyes is priceless, like "Heck, no! I'm not running through there! If it is so important, why don't you run the message yourself!"

The look in that dog's eyes is priceless, like "Heck, no! I'm not running through there! If it is so important, why don't you run the message yourself!"

Totally - you said it all, from the dog's point of view!! :lol::lol:

Steve

This photo reminds us of one of the sad realities of that. "Here lies a loyal messenger dog". One of the only German dog grave photos I have seen.

Dog Grave0002 x.jpg

Great collection, Eric. You may remember I've always been a dog lover. These are outstanding images.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I of course remember the Tiger and Daisy days very well. I miss them both.

As always, great stuff, Eric. I have no portraits of working dogs, put have some personal images of dogs...but I think they're all pets/mascots vice working dogs

Thanks Brig. I like the pet/mascot photos also but had to draw the line somewhere. I will post some more later if any interest.

Not much interest in doggies so this will be my last one.

Brig, this is one of my "pet" photos. I am a sucker for Doxies.

dog 19 x.jpg

Dog is definitely the focus of that photo...

I think working dog portraits are relatively scarce and you buy them all so no one else has any to share!

What's in the dogs mouth in photo 22 (post 35)?

Not much interest in doggies so this will be my last one.

Brig, this is one of my "pet" photos. I am a sucker for Doxies.

Eric, some of us more silent types are enjoying the hell out of your pictures.

Steve

Eric, some of us more silent types are enjoying the hell out of your pictures.

Steve

Same here! Fantastic thread. I have a pic of my grandfather (WWI USMC) with a German Shepherd. Later pics show one with him at home with one and I wonder if he was a bringback!

I think working dog portraits are relatively scarce and you buy them all so no one else has any to share! LOL .........Yeah, I wish !!

What's in the dogs mouth in photo 22 (post 35)? I believe he is holding the message pouch. I don't think they used the collar to carry the messages until WW2

Here is another one. Not sure if this little guy (or gal) is a pet or a mascot (Kompanie Hunde)

dog 17 x.jpg

Obviously not a photograph but I liked this original little drawing the owner did of his/her dog because of the notation on the back.

His name was WOLF. He was born in 1934 and was killed in an air raid on June 17, 1944.

RIP

Wolf x.jpg

Amazing collection Eric! I never would have thought there would be so many portraits of German officers with their dogs! Incredible that you’ve found so many, and they’re all fantastic! Thanks for sharing them!

Rick

Thanks Rick for commenting. Happy to hear you enjoyed them.

This is a somewhat rare piece. Photo album of a dog handler who served with the Freikorps from 1919 to 1931.

DSC_3049.JPG