East German Grenzschutz Uniforms

SARGE

It has been a long time since I have seen one of these cords new in the box (NIB). 

Here is another shoulder cord, in this case for Marksmanship worn only by EM or NCOs.  This dress/parade tunic is marked “NVA IV/62” on the inside pocket, dating it to the beginning of the existence of the Grenztruppen as a branch of the NVA (as opposed to the Grenzpolizei, who had been under the MdI until 1961). The green piping to the collar and the cuffs, as well as the presence of a dagger hanger and ring on the inside, indicate this tunic was produced as an Officer’s model tunic though the insignia are for a Senior NCO of Stabsfeldwebel rank. The collar tabs are of the one-piece circa 1965 parade version, while the cuff litzen are the older 2-piece kind that have been sewn in beneath the lining of the sleeve. The double chevron to the lower right sleeve is that for a career NCO from 1965-1983. These combinations would seem to indicate that this dark collar tunic stems from a long period of wear after 1962. Perhaps the most interesting item is the custom modified shooting lanyard with the green felt background for Grenztruppen – a private modification noted in Frank Bartel’s "DDR Spezialkatalog, Band II" on page 141.  Another example is shown by Dorner & Werner on page 94 of "Uniformen der DDR Band1".  Additionally, on the right breast of the tunic there is a Bestenabzeichen with flat back, a post-1963 class III general Klassifizierungabzeichen, and a silver Sportleistungsabzeichen, in what I think is the 1965-75 version. On the right breast is the plastic covered ribbon (vs. paper) Interimsspange for the Treue Dienste medal in bronze for 5 years service in the NVA. Overall a very nice dress tunic setup with medals for a DDR border guard NCO.

DDR GT tunic.JPG

DDR GT tunic close.JPG

DDR GT tunic cuffs.JPG

DDR GT tunic badges.JPG

DDR GT Tunic sport badge.JPG

This is an amazing uniform and the first time I have seen one of these Grenztruppen lanyards with green background, very nice!

While we are on it... I don´t want to hijack your thread but if you don´t mind I´m adding the 3rd kind of DDR military cords for the sake of completeness. Beside shoulder cords (worn by officers) and shooting lanyards (worn by EM/NCO) a Repraesentationsschnur (representation cord) did exist. At command worn by NCO at military ceremonies or when serving as honor guard etc.

RepSchnur.jpg

I don't mind your posting at all.  That cord is one that I had forgotten about.  Part of the different combinations possible for the ordered uniform of the day.  👍

• 1 year later...
Arkaidiyh

Thank you for sharing your phenomenal collection and encyclopedic knowledge of DDR Grenztruppen topics.  Truly mind-boggling.   I'm certain most of us had no clue so many of these earlier types of uniforms even existed.  My head is still spinning!  Thank you!!