Beret Flash possibly German?

phillock

Hi all

Not sure of this one

ts the same size as 5th SF but I have doubts this is US.

The symbology doesn't lean towards US SF.

The patch came from Germany and thats all I know.

cheers

Phill

post-185347-0-35477600-1548479327.jpg

This insignia looks very similar to the one of Bundeswehr Panzerbataillon 64 "Die Woelfe" (the wolves) except for the background color. There are no beret flashes in use by Bw soldiers. Could we see a picture of the back, please.

64.jpg

http://panzer.weissenborn.biz/Datenbanken/Bataillone/Bataillone.php?btlDetail=9

To answer your questions. First I would like to confirm the mentioned timeframe. Black, if used intentionally here, can have different meanings.

1. Black is the branch color of the Bw Engineers branch.

2. Referring to the "Prussian Color Sequence" black represents "6th" (unfortunately Armor units don't have a 6th Company).

3. Black is the color of the beret used by German Armor troops. Metal or bullion branch insignia are worn with the beret. I have attached a picture of the beret insignia worn with the black beret (standard badge on the left, "tanker modified" variant on the right, side note: notice the bend down guns, gunners used to do that after their first live firing) which are worn without any flashes.

I don't think that your insignia was worn on the Bw BDU (to small, no velcro back). Some more wild guessing: Maybe the unit's design was used by someone else for unknown reasons. Or could it be in fact an U.S. insignia? I know that PzBtl 64 has had a partnership with an U.S. Armor unit at some time. Hope someone else can solve that riddle.

Lars

PzBarettAbz.jpg