Regiment Cap Badge of the 17th / 21st Lancers (Death or Glory)

Not sure of the period, but I believe it to be Second World War.

From the web, I found the following information about the regiment:

A Regiment Cap Badge of the 17th / 21st Lancers (Death or Glory) .The 17th/21st Lancers was a cavalry regiment of the British Army from 1922 to 1993.

It was formed in 1922 in England by the amalgamation of the 17th Lancers (Duke of Cambridge's Own) and the 21st Lancers (Empress of India's). From 1930 to 1939 it was deployed overseas; first in Egypt for two years, and then in India for seven. In 1938 the regiment was mechanised.

On the outbreak of war, the regiment immediately transferred back to the UK. When it arrived it had no equipment apart from rifles and revolvers. Although it was designated as a Heavy Armoured Regiment it never received the equipment; initial training was with a few Medium tanks and some lorries. It was designated as a Divisional Cavalry Regiment in 1940 but given machine guns and vehicles to make it a Motor Machine-Gun Regiment. In this form it was part of the 1st Motor Machine Gun Brigade (with the 16th/5th Lancers, 2nd Lothians and Border Horse) under 12 Corps defending south-east England. It then came under 26th Armoured Brigade in 6th Armoured Division later in the year. A group of personnel from the regiment were detached in December to form the cadre of the 24th Lancers.

In November 1942, the division was deployed to Tunisia for Operation Torch. Now equipped with Valentine Mk III and Crusader Mk III tanks, the regiment saw action in the Tunisia Campaign for some time, including taking heavy losses defending Thala in the Battle of Kasserine Pass in February 1943 during which fourteen tanks were put out of action.[2] After this, the regiment was withdrawn and refitted with M4A2 Sherman tanks. In April, the regiment attempted to take the Fondouk Pass during which thirty-two tanks were put out of action.[2] The campaign in Tunisia came to an end in May 1943, with the surrender of almost 250,000 German and Italian soldiers who subsequently became prisoners of war (POWs). Most of the 6th Armoured Division (minus the 1st Guards Brigade) then deployed to the Italian Front in March 1944, and fought to breach the Gustav Line, taking part in Operation Diadem, the fourth and final Battle of Monte Cassino.[2] The regiment advanced to the Gothic Line, and spent the winter there—at points, serving as infantry rather than as an armoured unit, due to the static nature of the trench warfare there.[2] After the final breakthrough in April 1945, codenamed Operation Grapeshot, the regiment ended the war in Austria

post-185103-0-63660500-1548650460_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 1/27/2019 at 10:41 PM, Thor996 said:

Front in March 1944, and fought to breach the Gustav Line, taking part in Operation Diadem, the fourth and final Battle of Monte Cassino.[2] The regiment advanced to the Gothic Line, and spent the winter there—at points, serving as infantry rather than as an armoured unit, due to the static nature of the trench warfare there.[2] After the final breakthrough in April 1945, codenamed Operation Grapeshot, the regiment ended the war in Austria

I like to study the history and traditions of the British regiments as it relates to my cap badge.   I have searched for books on British regiments or brigades that fought in WW2 but they usually are a book covering the 600 year history of a regiment.  So it doesn't tell you about the details.  I tend to doubt that claim that the Brits made it to the Alps---not by the 2nd of May.  The 8th Army seemed to be directed towards capturing Venice and getting to the Yugoslav border.  But that is for another post.

I like the looks of your Badge. I have one just like it.  You need to show the back of it.  I was on a FB group that only evaluated British cap badges: no Canadian or other nations and no cost estimates.   There are many fakes out there and they usually have "Squinting eyes".  

Your badge is an NCO Sleeve Badge.  Notice that the crossed bones are not shaped like a thigh bone with the bent end.

Cap Badge -- from the eBay store of my Seller in Canada.

994326011_LancersBadge.JPG.4b7cdc13d98aa450c9e3b08a779c1135.JPG

Here is photos from a post I found with info on the Sleeve Badge.

1387030756_LancersBadgeSleeve1.JPG.e337849ca3bf4d6564cc937c84c18e34.JPG  2120093336_LancersBadgeSleeve2.JPG.93dd84631529dcae09fb62bbb9b0869c.JPG

A great addition to a collection but not for a cap.