Please help identify German bayonet

Chaseusa11b

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some information on this bayonet.

A family friend asked me about it but Im not knowledgeable about bayonets or foreign items.

He said his grandpa was in Europe in WW2 and thinks he brought it home.

Any information on what it is and if it had any value would be greatly appreciated

I did a little research but there are far to many variables

Thank you in advance

It's a WWII one, that's missing it's Grips, which might of been eiter wood or Black or Brown Bakelight, the date on the scabbard with maker is 1939, the date on bayonet is see on the blunt side of the blade near the hilt. Will admit I'm not sure what the other marking are, certaily some kind of serial number from the maker, the S 155 may be a unit, again not sure.

S/155 is maker code for E.u.F Hörster.

There would have been a two digit date code on the back of the blade near the crossguard. Probably 36 or 37 as I think the full makers name appeared from 1938 onwards.

The "S" codes were an attempt to disguise manufacturers during the period of German re-armament.

The four digit/letter stamp is the serial number. Issued in blocks of 10000.

0-9999

0-9999 a

0-9999 b etc etc.

Bayonet and scabbard would originally have matching numbers.

As the others have said this is a common, but early manufacture, Model S84/98 bayonet for the standard issue Kar.98k rifle. Your "S code" bayonet by Horster would have originally had a wooden grip, that is now missing. The scabbard is mis-matched as it should have the same serial number as the bayonet with the s/n series described by Richie B above. With these condition issues I see these bayonets sell in the $30. - $40. range.

I hope this is helpful.