My Scottish Corner

Really super! Are those all Scottish regimental buttons in that top case on the right?

Yes, all Scottish. Have all the pre-1881 numbered Scottish regiments (there were 19 as I recall, of the 100+ British regiments), and the post-1881 named regiments they became. And Scottish Yeomanry, Scots Guards, and a few old Scottish militia. I had a separate post a few months ago that has a better picture of that case, named "My Scottish Button collection with a few collar badges and shoulder titles". It was uniform buttons that started my Scottish collection. I have a large US military button collection as well.

Great collection. Are you of Scottish heritage or just interested?

I have a friend who used to take me to a local annual Scottish festival. I was completely blown away by the passion for genealogy there. Though of Italian ancestry, I just LOVE bagpipes.

Mikie

I am of Scottish ancestry, MANY generations ago. There's even a Clan Guthrie (my last name), and a Guthrie Castle! That plus a trip to Scotland I made a number of years ago got me interested. And have been to several Scottish Highland Games here in my home state - LOVE it. Lots of fun. And I love bagpipes too. Don't have a kilt yet though ...

There is a HUGE Highland games celebration in nearby Pleasanton, CA every year on Labor Day weekend. I think it's the biggest on the west coast? Haven't gone in a few years. The massed bands assembly has had close to 1000 pipers playing at the same time. Utterly awesome! I could feel the bones vibrating inside me. There are usually military displays and reenactors from various eras. Great Celtic music from traditional to Celtic rock. Even tried the haggis. Good stuff! Your post has brought back lots of fun memories. Thanks!

Mikie

Mikie, I enjoy Highland games as well. The ones I've been to not as large as your though. But even a few hundred pipes & drums in the massed bands can be awesome. Oh, and I've tried the haggis too, while in Scotland years ago - nothing like it!

I've just perused your threads. Wow, thanks for sharing. Terrific collection! Great to see all that history in one place.

Don't know why I haven't collected the Scottish Regiments, except there's an emotional detachment from the militaria I do collect. I inherited my grandfather's WW1 Lovat Scouts and Cameron Highlanders cap badges amongst other things, which don't feel like collectables to me. Never really thought about it until now.

Thanks!