Black Wound Badge

Thor996

• 1 year later...

Was there a wound badge maker with a "0" or "C" mark? This one seems to have a very small O or C on the backside (there's no sign of it on the front:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Bob,

The small "o" mark on your wound badge is the postwar marking found on 57er awards made by St&L (Steinhauer & Luck).  I don't know if S&L used this marking during the war or not but I would have expected a wartime L# marking.  But that is who manufactured your badge.  

6 hours ago, SARGE said:

Bob,

The small "o" mark on your wound badge is the postwar marking found on 57er awards made by St&L (Steinhauer & Luck).  I don't know if S&L used this marking during the war or not but I would have expected a wartime L# marking.  But that is who manufactured your badge.  

It appears that S&L did use "4" as mark but the "o" mark shows up on WWII German pieces from different makers. I found a few examples at http://www.germanwarbooty.com/Archives.htm including one for Steinhauer & Luck:

Kriegsmarine E-Boat Badge, First Pattern.  Although not maker marked this Kriegsmarine E-Boat Badge, First Pattern does have an "O" marking on the reverse.  This example is made of fine zinc and is one of the few accepted zinc examples of this rare badge. This badge was was made by Steinhauer & Luck. 

HERE'S A COUPLE MORE REFERENCES FROM THAT germanwarbooty.com PAGE:

Luftwaffe Day Fighter Clasp in Silver.  Super looking Luftwaffe Day Fighter Clasp in Silver.  This example is zinc-based and retains over 95 percent of its silver finish.  The reverse has an "o" marking. 

Kriegsmarine U-Boat Badge by Orth.  Good looking zinc-based Kriegsmarine U-Boat Badge by Orth being so marked on the reverse with the firms stylized initials "f.o." being a solid example with crisp details also having the "o" die mark on the reverse. 

The phrase the "o" die mark makes me wonder if the "o" was just some by-product of production? 

I put the three photos from http://germanwarbooty.com beside the back of the wound badge. Notice that one of the pieces has the "o" and a maker's mark, which would seem to further point to this being some sort of die mark that does not stand for anything.

Screen-Shot-2020-06-30-at-3.34.39-PM.jpg