Heer Machine Gun Section Photo

Brig

Figured I'd share one of my favorite photos, on less common Gavaert paper. This one could would probably be dismissed by many as a reenactor photo, but the fact that only an NCO has an IAB and they aren't peppered with awards, the uniform cuts, live rounds, and other small details lend credence to it being indeed period. It's getting tougher to find wartime shots like this one...

0011.jpg

002.jpg

Proof positive this image is not of reenactors -- (1) they are all thin (2) all roughly the same age for their ranks (2) no non-period eye glasses (or any glasses for that matter) and (4) no 1970s style mustaches. :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Great picture, Brig!!

Steve

Yes...the young ones still bear the childlike faces and struts of kids who don't know what's ahead for them. Makes you wonder how many survived the war, and how they changed by 1945

Yes...the young ones still bear the childlike faces and struts of kids who don't know what's ahead for them. Makes you wonder how many survived the war, and how they changed by 1945

Yes, Brig. I've seen groups of photos to one soldier (German and US) taken through their military service during the war years, and am sometimes struck at how they are prematurely aged over the few years where they were in combat.

Steve

Reminds me of about ten years ago, when someone was selling an entire album of photos from a German soldier stationed in Norway at the beginning of the war. Hundreds of pictures, and they looked like they were taken yesterday (with B&W film, of course! -grin- ) Guys in uniform, in partial uniform, site-seeing, at stations, etc. Super cool. I remember spending days looking at the images!

For me, the coolest part of the photo are the potato mashers stuck in the boots.

You'd think that would be super uncomfortable! Talk about blisters from too much walking . . . and in the wrong places! I can see how the small American style of grenades would be easier to carry!

• 8 months later...