RAF Wings

Wharfmaster

Your top two wings are decidedly post WWII even with the King's crown. They are reproductions, but I think that they were made as display examples rather than to deceive.

The bottom wing is wartime manufacture, but is machine embroidered. The wing appears to have been made in Canada.

Allan

Sal,

I don't know how I could begin to answer your question with any hope of doing it any justice. I guess I can start by saying that if you see a padded wing with a heat sealed backing like what you see if the first two wings being shown, then you are looking at a post WWII wing. The machine embroidered wings with the black muslin cloth backing is considered to be Canadian manufacture. Most WWII RAF brevets were hand embroidered and each are a work of art. Earlier examples are typically padded to help them to stand out on the uniform.

Anyone who really wants to get into collecting British and Commonwealth flight badges should buy a copy of the late Warren Carrol's "Eagles Recalled." It is considered to be the best reference book out there. Warren was a true gentleman and a wonderful mentor. I miss him greatly.

Allan