Medaille Militaire

stratasfan

The third highest award of the French Republic (after the Legion d'honneur and the Ordre de la Liberation), the Medaille Militaire is awarded for meritorious service and acts of bravery in action against an enemy force.

The Médaille militaire is a silver laurel wreath, 28 mm (1.1 in) in diameter, wrapped around a central gold medallion bearing the left profile of Marianne, effigy of the French Republic, the original 2nd Empire variant bore the left profile of Emperor Napoleon III. The central gold medallion is surrounded by a blue enamelled ring bearing the gilt inscription "RÉPUBLIQUE FRANÇAISE" (English: "FRENCH REPUBLIC") with a small gilt five-pointed star at the bottom for a 4th Republic award, three stars for a 5th Republic variant, the 3rd Republic variant bore the date 1870, the 2nd Empire variant bore the gilt inscription "LOUIS-NAPOLEON" in lieu of "RÉPUBLIQUE FRANÇAISE" and had flowers on both sides of the small star at the bottom. The original variant was topped by a silver imperial eagle with a loop through which the suspension ring passed, all other variants were and are topped by a device composed of a breastplate superimposed over crossed cannons, a naval anchor, sabres, swords and battle axes, to which the suspension ring passes through a loop for attachment to a ribbon. The reverse of the medallion is common to all variants since inception of the award, it bears the relief inscription on three lines "VALEUR ET DISPLINE" (English: "VALOUR AND DISCIPLINE") and is surrounded by a blue enamelled ring.

Feel free to post your medals from any era! Would love to see!

Here is my 4th Republic medal:

post-185332-0-84644100-1549411259_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting this award. I have the bottom portion only. On the award in the pic it has a star. Mine is marked 1870. Rich A. in Pa.

Cool! that is a 3rd Republic, 1870-1940 era. Feel free to post pictures! Mine is a 4th Republic version, so 1946-58. I wanted one that could have been awarded to a WWII resistant. :)

My only other French medal is this Dardanelles Campaign medal. My Mom's maiden name was Dardano. They were Italian as far back as anyone knew, but always wondered if they came from the Dardanelles area originally.

post-185136-0-98894700-1549474657.jpg

post-185136-0-97972600-1549474675.jpg

The maiden name of one of my Italian grandmothers was Parlagreco. That implies that someone spoke Greek a long time ago. I like to think I had both sides of the Trojan War covered in my ancestry! Ha!

Anyway, this is 2/3 of my foreign medal collection.

Mikie

Here is the piece I have. Got it at a thrift store with some U.S.W.W.1 collar devices and some awards with no ribbons.

Nice awards I only have a few French. Rich A. in Pa.

post-185404-0-93363500-1549483394_thumb.jpg

Gosh, I'm going to have to stop at the store tonight and buy some croissant. I'll leave the escargot to someone else. Tried the Italian version a few times. Taste wasn't bad, but I didn't care for the chewy texture.

Mikie

Super nice medals! Love that Legion d'honneur. I'm eventually hoping to get one of those one day! They are gorgeous! I've got a Croix du Combattant, too, which I should post! The French medals are just so amazing!

That Dardanelles medal is a very pretty one!

Sorry, hope you don't mind I got a little off track about the medals here. Since my diet, it doesn't take much to get me obsessing about food. Some really nice medals so far. Not much of a medal guy but enjoy seeing them and learning.

Mikie

Stratasfan

Forgot to thank you for starting this thread and as a young collector you have picked a interesting area to collect

and enjoy!

You sure added much info on your posts! Very informative!

Hope you can add more info to others, As you study and learn!

This is a new forum and it needs collectors like you!

You will get others involved!

PVON

Wow! What cool medals! Thanks for sharing, pvon! Love those Croix de Guerres! All those stars on that one! amazing! Love the full-size and mini set of the Legion! WOW!

My passion is the French Resistance in WWII, and I began collecting French postage stamps that commemorated anyhting to do with the FR. Then, I had to get a Resistance medal. :) Then, someone gave me a Cross of Lorraine badge. Then . . . I was hooked! So, I am collecting French medals and badges that have something to do with the FR or could/would have been awarded to a Resister. Slow process, and lots tolearn, but I am loving it! Also loving having a forum where I can post and hope to find others who have similar interests!