Large Bore Mortar Translation needed:

GatorDoc

九七式中迫撃砲 Type 97 Medium Mortar

No. 52 (being the number of the barrel made by the Osaka Army Arsenal)

大阪陸軍造兵廠 Osaka Army Arsenal

Showa 16 year (1941) can't make out last kanji but may indicate it's the year of manufacture.

Hey guys,

Thank you for the translations. I do have one question. Does it say it's an 81mm anywhere? The reason I ask is that it is huge. An approximately 6.25 inch bore (smooth) and barrel length approximately 6 feet long ( it is almost 6 1/2 feet long with the cup installed). I am not sure of the weight but it is a 3 man job just to move the barrel. It also appears to have a lanyard type system for the firing setup. All leading me to believe it is likely a 150mm rather than the much smaller 81 or 90mm. I would be very open to opinions or thoughts

G

Does it say it's an 81mm anywhere?

G

No caliber is shown on the barrel as there is no reason for it, any artilleryman could tell by looking. You have a complete translation of the visible engraving line by line. Note the Japanese on the barrel reads from right to left as was typically done in those days.

Links with 2 pages for the Type 97, 150mm mortar (you can use Google translate for the Japanese page):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_96_and_Type_97_150_mm_infantry_mortar

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/九七式中迫撃砲

Thanks Rod. I was pretty certain of the caliber but was confused by when one of the guys nice enough to translate it referred to it as a Model 97 small trench mortar 81mm. Hence the question. Turns out there was more than one caliber mortar designated Model 97 by the Japanese.

Turns out there was more than one caliber mortar designated Model 97 by the Japanese.

I'm with you, GatorDoc. Who knew?

I'm jealous that Wehrmacht Awards has more pictures of your mortar than World Militaria Forum does. Hope you don't mind me asking but is there any chance you could upload the rest of them here too?

Thanks, Rod