Interesting WWII Medal Bar to Canadian Paratrooper

Allan H.

This is a group of insignias and a medal bar that came as payment for a lawn mowing job when I was a kid. Over 40 years ago, I had just finished mowing a neighbor's lawn when he pulled out a small cigar box and showed these pieces to me and asked if I had any interest in them. Even though they weren't US militaria, I thought they were cool and I agreed to accept the box as payment for the work I had done.

There were no names or anything associated with the medals or the insignia, just the photo, the medals, the wings and a few misc. pieces of insignia. We can see from the bar that the soldier was Canadian and that he served in Italy and France and or Germany. He was also mentioned in dispatches and was awarded a US Bronze Star medal. The Bronze Star is not named. Interestingly, there are some very interesting vintage Canadian parachute brevets as well as a US parachute badge. I believe all of the Canadian para wings are post WWII, but appear to be immediate post WWII vintage.

I can't imagine that there were that many Canadians that were awarded US Bronze Stars. Is it possible that the soldier was a WWII Canadian para who went to the FSSF? If only the pieces could talk.

Allan

post-185251-0-06487100-1550349810_thumb.jpg

Detailed look at the medal bar. The medals hand straighter when they are pinned. They just look a little odd when they are laying flat. Gotta love the sterling silver medals vice the cupro-nickel medals issued in Britain.

Allan

post-185251-0-00194200-1550350033_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
captainofthe7th

A search of the Canadian and London Gazettes show only a handful of Bronze Star awards. If not for staff officers, assuming that this soldier is enlisted, it looks like all the Bronze Stars given to Canadians were in the 1st Special Service Bn, so yes, FSSF. I haven't found one that also received a MiD yet.

Very nice mounted group. I think it's possible to ID with some work and I do think there is likely a FSSF connection based on what I am seeing with 1st Spec Svc bn

Rob