RAF Officer’s Service Dress Uniform

Brian Keith

I picked up this uniform in London in 1992, likely overpaid at the time, but Ive always been happy to have it. It is named inside: S/Ldr.C. Holdway. I wouldnt know how to research him.

It features Squadron Leader Rank on the cuffs; the insignia above left pocket is the Royal Air Force Pilot Qualification Badge, Ribbons, (L to R) British Empire Medal ribbon; Distinguished Flying Cross Medal ribbon; 1939-1945 Star Medal ribbon; The Atlantic Star Medal ribbon; the Defense Medal ribbon; the War Medal, 1939-1945 ribbon with palm; the General Service Medal ribbon and the RAF Long Service Medal and Good Conduct Medal ribbon.

It appears to have a date on the label of 2/53, February, 1953.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome!

BKW

post-185335-0-41964700-1550437634.jpg

post-185335-0-05249500-1550437654_thumb.jpg

Nice jacket. Interesting to see a prior enlisted officer. I would think he would have been a Sgt pilot at some point. Atlantic star..... Most likely Coastal Command of course......

-Ski

That might be an Air Force Cross. Message me your E-Mail and I will send the full page. This is his entry for the OBE (Order of the British Empire), so it cross references.

-Ski

post-185479-0-89460400-1550454374_thumb.jpg

This is a beautiful and interesting tunic with Sqn Ldr Holdway still wearing a King's Crown RAF pilot brevet as late as 1956 after his investiture with the Order of the British Empire. I have seen many uniforms still sporting King's crown buttons, but with a Queen's crown brevet after Queen Elizabeth's coronation in 1953.

To me, the second ribbon on the tunic is the Air Force Cross, which matches up exactly with Teamski's research. The 1941 issue of the Air Force Cross made me think it was possible that he was a Battle of Britain pilot, but his name does not appear on any of the BoB lists, so I think that Teamski nailed it (with the issue of the Atlantic Star) that he was most likely flying for Coastal Command.

Thank you for sharing this gem.

Allan

Thanks for finding all the great information on, S/Ldr. Charles Holdway. With that info, I see the ribbon must have shifted color a bit and must be for the Air Force Cross. Here is the label:

post-185335-0-79941300-1550534506.jpg

I appreciate all the interest and information. Happy that you all enjoyed seeing it.

BKW