My Panzer Assault Badge - Hollow Back

mikie

I mostly like US and British field gear but have a few pieces of TR stuff here and there. I picked up this Panzer Assault Badge many years ago. It passed inspection at a long defunct militaria site about 10-15 years ago but figured I'd post it here for evaluation, and to document it on the forum. All comments and info on the badge are welcome.

Front...

post-185136-0-43979600-1551469297_thumb.jpg

Mikie

Rakkasan187

Mikie,

This looks like a Assmann and Sohn made PAB, but I am not familiar with this type of pin. The other Assmann PABs that I have seen do not have a pointed tip on the pin but rather a flat pin end.. This may have been a replacement pin but I am not sure.. Can you take pictures of the C clasp and the hinge at the top?? Not 100% sure this is a good one or not...

The Assmann makers mark "A" is located on the right track on the backside under the bogey wheels..

Leigh

Hello Mikie,

I agree with Leigh, better/more photos would be great. The zinc variants did not have a pointed pin as previously mentioned, but the cupal variants did and the ultra rare Crimped Hinge version. Cupals are very light weight and typically around the edges you can see the inner copper material. I can't tell by these pics though.

BR,

James

OK, thanks for the replies. Here is about the best I can do with some closeups. Hope they are good enough.

First the hinge...

post-185136-0-58635700-1551818232.jpg

And here are a couple of shots of the C catch...

post-185136-0-09889800-1551818380.jpg

post-185136-0-53786500-1551818743.jpg

Of course I hope it's a good badge, but either way, we'll have it documented here on the forum for future reference.

Thanks again for looking!

Mikie

Hello Mikie,

The catch and hinge look ok in my opinion. Assmanns usually have "pools" of solder around the catch and hinge. Does the badge feel light? Assuming you have other PAB's to compare to.

James

Rakkasan187

I agree with James' assessment.. These are much better pictures and shows the small details of the catch and solder..

This is a nice example..

Leigh

Thank you both for your insight. Just for the record in case someone comes on here looking for info on a PAB 10 years from now, the pointed pin is not normal for an Assmann badge, but is not a authenticity killer?

I will take advantage of this new forum to document the rest of my tiny TR collection in the next little bit. I look forward to learning and hopefully help others in future.

Regards,

Mikie