German Paratrooper Portrait

irish

Picked these up recently. Normally out of my area of collecting interest but they were too nice to pass up. First is an NCO Paratrooper with his French
girlfriend?... Photographer is marked "Alix Paris". It appears to be hand colored.

The second portrait is of the same soldier by himself and later in the war as he is now a more senior NCO. This looks to be a watercolor or chalk drawing. both images are roughly 12 x 16 (+ -).

While the pictures themselves are quite remarkable the fact that they survived all these years and made it to the U.S. is just as amazing,.. considering how fragile these type of items can be... A few small dings but overall in great shape No name unfortunately but an interesting story. Wonder if he was still in France on D-Day?...

Hope you enjoy.

post-185108-0-95472000-1551628804_thumb.jpg

Very nice portraits...especially the colorized one posted first.

Always nice to see a nice FJ portrait, I also pick them up when I stumble on them for a good price

Brian Keith

Very interesting images! In the first with the "girlfriend", it looks to me like the photo's were not made at the same time. It doesn't look like the lighting is the same and the pose is stilted. I wonder what the backstory is. Great images, thanks much for posting them!

BKW

Brian, I thought the same thing when first looking. She seems to be looking off at an odd angle. His hand on her arm makes it look plausible. Yes the backstory would be interesting

Good seeing you in Louisville Irish. Nice colorized photo. I would have never noticed the WWII "photoshop" until it was mentioned above. Looking back at it, I think that is a very plausible thought.

Brian, I thought the same thing when first looking. She seems to be looking off at an odd angle. His hand on her arm makes it look plausible. Yes the backstory would be interesting

That is not his hand it is hers.

Good seeing you in Louisville Irish. Nice colorized photo. I would have never noticed the WWII "photoshop" until it was mentioned above. Looking back at it, I think that is a very plausible thought.

Thanks Scott, was nice to meet you also... Have thought a few more times about the steel lid we discussed at the show.

Best

Jack

Thanks Scott, was nice to meet you also... Have thought a few more times about the steel lid we discussed at the show.

Best

Jack

I still have it Jack. I never put it on the table for sale at the SOS. Plus, I did very well on my other sales. So, I've decided to hold onto it for now.

Nice photos. I would bet that the man had a photo of his girlfriend, the Paris studio made a negative from it then printed the two negatives together. You see similar things from time to time.

Here is one from a Brandenburg paratrooper done at a Greek studio (after the Nov. 43 jump on the island of Leros) ** Notice the model 43 army paratrooper badge in feinzink.

BB2 x.jpg

• 1 year later...
Blackcat1982

In the first photograph with the FJ and his girl the two negatives have been overlaid and then printed onto one piece of photographic paper. Perhaps they had individual pictures taken and then wanted one of them together for him to take to the front with him? Original and interesting finds.