Chinese Medals

Hsin C.

Here is the Order of Precious Tripod, 6th class with a Order of the Cloud and Banner (also Resplendent Banner), 6th class that I have.

There is a big difference between the originals and the common copies that are known as "tourist" pieces. There are a few much better copies of Cloud and Banners that came out a few years ago. The difference is the serial number font and enameling. Original medals were made out of silver too.

There are also Taiwan issued ones, those have a shinier gilt to it with a different font for the serial number and hallmark (made by central printing). Some medals were brought back from the mainland and refurbished in Taiwan, they are pre-1949 made, but post 1949 issued.

I will post more Chinese medals I have in this thread later on.

post-185326-0-94284200-1551644018_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful medals...

Planchets from there are always amazingly detailed and complex, wonderful workmanship, from what little I know.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bluehawk. Yes, the details, especially the enameling was a work of art.

Here are some tigers

Order of the White Tiger. Not much info on this one.

Order of the Striped Tiger, 5th class.

post-185326-0-29630000-1553904072_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Some medals I assume were awarded to CBI US servicemen. I bought these from US sources, mostly eBay. Two of these I posted from the first post above.

96234921_10117815901078304_9058686313368125440_n.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Owen,

Sure. The order came in nine classes. Each class are grouped in three levels. Each level had the same layer colors, but only differentiated by the number of red stars for each class, up to three stars. First level, 1st-3rd class, has yellow and white layer (top to bottom), three stars represents first class, 2 stars- second class, 1 star- third class. The next level is made up of blue and white layers, same with star rankings. The last level is white and yellow layer, same with star rankings.

Although I don't have it labeled, but in my picture I have a sixth class (bottom left), seventh class (above sixth class), eighth class (the right of the two), and ninth class (to the right of the eighth). Yeah I did not put it in a meaningful order...

First and second classes came with a sash and breast stars. Third class is a neck award. Forth through ninth classes are breast medals. Eventually, fourth and fifth class became a neck award, not sure when exactly, but sometime later in WWII and still is today. I assume you may be asking because you may have one that is missing the ribbon? Many lost the ribbon over time.

Each class has a different ribbon color combination. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Cloud_and_Banner

There are several fakes out there. I believe they are not out of silver and have the similar greyish color metal. Enameling is different on a fake as they have opaque enameling and real ones are transparent in which you can see the metal design behind the enameling. Hallmarks and serials are different. Some fakes have the post-1950s period hallmarks.

• 4 weeks later...