Thompson M-1 Captured by Marines at the Chosin and Yalu

Kanemono

I bought the beat up remains of this Thompson submachine gun at the Allentown gun show. The dealer I bought it from purchased the piece from an estate in Arkansas. The Thompson had belonged to Lt. Col. James H. Dill who had brought it back from Korea. He also said that Dill had cut up the receiver to make it legal when he was told the gun was illegal and no longer able to be registered. I also bought Lt. Col. Dill’s insignia, ribbons and signed copies of his book "Sixteen Days at Mungol-Li" and the "American Heritage" magazine which tells of his escape from the Yalu in 1950. The dealer also told me Dill’s medals might out there somewhere because Dills footlocker containing his medals and uniforms was also sold at the auction. He said he would email me if he turned up anything. He did email me that Dill’s medals were on EBAY. I placed a bid and won Lt. Col. Dill’s group of medals. Lt. Col. Dill was written up for the Bronze Star by Colonel Lewis “Chesty” Puller First Marine Regiment for his actions on September 25, 1950 as a forward observer for the Seventh Division’s 31st field artillery US Army. (Dill’s actions as a FO destroyed the North Korean tanks that were about to overrun the Third Battalion of the First Marine Regiment). When I received the medals there was also an engraved plaque in the box presenting a “TSMG” to First Lieutenant Dill from officers of the Third Battalion of the First Marine Regiment. When I looked at the Thompson stock there were holes where the screws had been. I also found a note from Lt. Col. Dill in the hole behind the trap door in the butt stock. In the note he explained that the Marine Officers who presented him with the Thompson told him that Dill’s Thompson was one of the hundreds of TSMG's the Marines captured from the Chinese during their retreat from the Yalu. Entire Chinese Regiments were armed with Lend Lease Thompson's and thousands more were captured from the Nationalist's during the civil war. In fact entire re-educated Nationalist Regiments, fully armed with American equipment, were used as shock troops. The Marines used captured Thompsons and the full magazines in Chinese made bandoleers taken from dead Chinese. The Thompson’s simple bolt and heavy spring didn’t freeze while the Marines M-1's and carbines froze solid. Dill’s Thompson was one that was turned in by the Marines after the retreat.

post-185184-0-11212500-1552661199_thumb.jpg

post-185184-0-97578600-1552661205_thumb.jpg

post-185184-0-33723100-1552661213.jpg

post-185184-0-20698600-1552661232_thumb.jpg

post-185184-0-05625900-1552661239_thumb.jpg

post-185184-0-77182100-1552661261.jpg