Dornier Do 17 Z - Grandpa's Fighter Plane

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

I built my last aircraft kit about 40 years ago. I built it together with my dad. He brought me into contact with modeling. I visited him last weekend. We talked a lot about his dad, my grandpa, who was MIA/KIA on September, 2nd 1941. Walter, that's his first name, was a fighter pilot. His wing was 4./Nachtjagdgeschwader 2. (night fighter wing) that was based at Gilze-Rijen airfield in the Netherlands.

When dad and me went out for a walk in his hometown we discovered this kit. So guess what happened... I have a mission now.

190319_a.jpg

The Meatcan

Nice family history story Lars. It's always fascinating to hear about why people choose to build certain kits and or dioramas. Enjoy your kit!

Terry

• 3 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

Unfortunately I have only very little time for modeling these days. Anyway, I started to build the (very detailed) interior.

Int01.jpg

Proud Kraut

While building "his" plane I'd like to tell Grandpa's story. At least something about his military service. Walter, that's his first name was born on June, 29th 1913. He joined the Reichsheer in 1934. This is the earliest military picture of him. At this time he served as an Engineer in Hoexter, Northern Germany.

0405_G-01_c.jpg

The Meatcan

Off to a good start, Lars. I'm interested in learning more about Walter's story.

Does it feel strange to build a kit that isn't armor? :)

Terry

Nice start Lars. I find aircraft a lot harder to build and finish than tanks and trucks and usually just make a mess of them. I am looking forward to following your progress. Like Terry said, I'd like to hear more of Walter's story too.

Proud Kraut

Off to a good start, Lars. I'm interested in learning more about Walter's story.

Does it feel strange to build a kit that isn't armor? :)

Terry

Thanks very much, guys! And yes, something totally different but I still like the work. I think I have to learn many new things again.

Here's a picture of Walter's swearing-in ceremony, probably taken in late 1934. Notice the Army uniforms.

0604_G_02.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thanks Josef!

Eventually in 1936 Walter volunteered for the new Luftwaffe. I'm posting a scan of an interesting letter. Walter, then Obergefreiter, was told to end his holidays and report back to his wing to start pilot training on January, 2nd 1937. At that time he was a member of 4./Kampfgeschwader 157 "BOELCKE". Attached also a picture of some training planes, I guess.

10Apr03 b.jpg

10Apr01.jpg

Proud Kraut

Walter, on the left, with an unknown comrade. Maybe someone can enlighten me regarding the biplane type.

10Apr02 b.jpg

Proud Kraut

...and the Do 17 of course. It has tails now. Work is going slowly but It's much fun. I like the fact to build a kit with less than 200 parts. Remembering the old Revell, Airfix and Matchbox kits I'm still thrilled by the today's kits details.

10Apr 05.jpg

Looking good.

Good that you have so much information on Walter. After my father passed away, I wrote, and called the German Historical Record and did receive some information on my fathers service in the Luftwaffe. But, alas, was also told that records are incomplete and that more records on personals of the Luftwaffe are lost then any other service. I did find out my father was sent to Hamburg and arrived the day after the devastating bombing and ordered back to his squadron. Also that dad started his flying enjoyment with a Sailplane group and in 1940 started his training with powered airplanes. I wish I had asked more, but he would open up only a little over time. I do remember he told me about his Basic Training and his training group was small and have 2 pictures. Trained just like anyone else before going to Officer Training and then to Fighter School. Eventually becoming a Flight Leader.

Thanks also for posting those pictures, interesting.

Wow, thanks for sharing your grandfather's story, one repeated so many times in WWII. Not too many pilots out there.............. Hell, my grandfather sat guarding a local factory in Milwaukee as part of the Auxiliary Military Police,

-Ski

The Meatcan

Good stuff there Lars! You are very lucky to have those photos of Walter. Sorry I can't help identify the biplane. Someone here is bound to know. Happy modeling!

Terry

Proud Kraut

Thank you all for your kind feedback!

Wow, thanks for sharing your grandfather's story, one repeated so many times in WWII. Not too many pilots out there.............. Hell, my grandfather sat guarding a local factory in Milwaukee as part of the Auxiliary Military Police,

-Ski

Yes my friend maybe he served guarding a factory but he probably survived the war I guess and, most important, you had a grandfather. :)

What did survive the war over here was Walter's photo album. Unfortunatel the photos were removed from the album for unknown reasons. But about 70 from orginally 80 photos were saved. Plus letters and other documents. Here's the (empty) photo album. I think I will restore it with the remaining pictures.

11Apr03.jpg

There was a picture of another biplane in the lot as well. A Henschel 123, maybe he flew this type as well during pilot training.

11Apr01 a.jpg