Dornier Do 17 Z - Grandpa's Fighter Plane

Proud Kraut

Thank you all for your kind feedback!

Yes my friend maybe he served guarding a factory but he probably survived the war I guess and, most important, you had a grandfather. :)

He died when I was 4 so I didn't have a lot of time with him. Point taken though. ;)

-Ski

MECHINF-A15

Lars,

Very interesting story/history on your grandfather. Thank you for sharing. Now, if I may ask a question. As a Pionier, do you know which Pionier-Btl. he was assigned to in Höxter? 16, 31, 55, 57, Lehr? I had a number of friends (now passed) who were 16er pre-war and during the war.

Very interesting aircraft model as well.

All the best,

Mike

Proud Kraut

Mike,

Walter served with Pionier-Bataillon Höxter. Referring to the following site this battalion was renamed in Pionier-Bataillon 16 in 1935.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/PionierBat/PiBat16-R.htm

Here's Walter's declaration of obligation (term?) signed in 1934:

V4.jpg

Larson, do you know the specific code number's for his aircraft, as well as the color scheme? Or are you going to build it with the stock decals that came with the kit?

MECHINF-A15

Thank you Lars, I forgot Pionier-Btl. Höxter evolved into Pionier-Btl. 16.

Look forward to seeing more info and photos on both model & Opa.

All the best,

Mike

Proud Kraut

Larson, do you know the specific code number's for his aircraft, as well as the color scheme? Or are you going to build it with the stock decals that came with the kit?

Gil,

I have some pictures of Walter's early war planes, mostly D17 Z. At this one, Walter is the pilot of a Do 17 with the code "U5" It's the marking of "Kampfgeschwader 2".

14Apr00.jpg

Proud Kraut

I have learned that Nachtjagdgeschwader used completely black painted planes since 1941 I think. In addition the mass of the markings was overpainted with black color as well. Here's a photo of Walter's Ju 88 after a crash landig. His plane was heavily hit be enemy fire and returned back home with one engine. The crew survived without any losses. Note the overpainted markings except the "K". Balkenkreuze on the wings weren't overpanted as well.

14Apr02.jpg

Proud Kraut

For this reasons I don't know the exact markings of his plane but will do the same with the kit. Painting will be started soon.

14Apr05.jpg

RustyCanteen

Very interesting project Lars, and informative to learn about your grandfather.

The model is looking great!

Proud Kraut

Very interesting project Lars, and informative to learn about your grandfather.

The model is looking great!

Thanks RC! Meanwhile the Do 17 has received it's first coat of primer.

16apr01.jpg

Proud Kraut

Nice effect.

Thanks Gil, after the paint has dried I applyed the decals today. I also started with the small parts like the cockpit, the antenna and the crew of course.

19apr01.jpg

Proud Kraut

Friday night I finished Grandpa's night fighter. After applying the decals I sealed the whole plane with multiple layers of matt varnish. The antenna was made of melted sprue. The whole plane received some paintbrushing with grey color. Here's the result.

20apr06.jpg

20apr07.jpg

20apr01.jpg

20apr02.jpg

Proud Kraut

...I noticed on several pictures that I found in Walter's album and online, that the side markings of the planes were painted over with black color very crudely. Here's a picture of a crashed Ju 88 from grandpa's album. Notice the black paint on the side markings.

20apr11a.jpg

In addition a picture of a Kauz in action. Notice the absence of side markings here as well.

20apr10a.jpg

So I decided to paint over the markings on the model as well excepts his plane's marking, the "K".

20apr03.jpg

20apr05.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thanks everybody very much for your kind feedback!

I built the plane with the Nachtjagdgeschwader insignia because I found several pictures of camoflaged black planes with the wing's emblem and other "noseart". Here are some pictures of Walter's album:

19apr 14.jpg