Dornier Do 17 Z - Grandpa's Fighter Plane

Proud Kraut

Those custom markings are unique. I light the one on the tail with the Knight(?) (Squire?) holding a lantern while riding the aircraft. You are lucky to have these as a reference.

Proud Kraut

What a terrific story with your dad and the model. This is what collecting is about when it comes to kids-building memories.

Thanks Sky. Finally I would like to add some more of the remaining paperwork. Let's start with grandpa's awards. Walter received his EK II 4 weeks after the outbreak of the war.

19apr 10.jpg

Proud Kraut

One year later he received the EK I. It was awarded to him bei Göring personally. Grandma has marked Walter standing in the airmen row. Let me add that I'm not very proud of this fact since Göring belonged to the category of persons who were directly responsible for the death of Walter and million others.

19apr 07a.jpg

Proud Kraut

Finally the Frontflugspangen. He received the silver one (60 combat missions) on June, 1st 1941. The golden one (110 missions) was awarded 6(!) weeks later. Where are the medals today? Probably in the U.S.A. When U.S. troops occupied Grandpa's hometown, Eschwege, they were taken by or given to some GI. Nobody knows exactly and I do not care about since we do have the documents. Thanks for looking!

19apr 09.jpg

Proud Kraut

I would like to finalize my little project by posting some more pictures of Walter and his comrades. Some pictures of the whole wing.

01Mai02a.jpg

One of my favourite photographs

01Mai03a.jpg

Proud Kraut

Walter, upper row far right

01Mai01a.jpg

Pictures taken during a flight

01Mai07.jpg

Two more shots

01Mai08a.jpg

Proud Kraut

So this is my tribute to my grandpa whom I never met - you will never be forgotten!

01Mai09a.jpg

Proud Kraut

Fine tribute to your grandfather Lars,

Thank you very much for sharing.

Mike

Mike, thanks very much for your kind feedback!

Lars

• 1 month later...

Fantastic thread Lars, a wonderful tribute to your grandfather. You are lucky to have at least some of the documents and those fine photographs of him.

Regards

Russ

• 1 month later...
Rakkasan187

Lars,

Thank you for sharing this important family history with us all..

We often forget the stories of the Soldier's who stood on the opposite side of the front lines, on the seas and in the air...

A remarkable gentleman..

Leigh

Hi Lars,

That is a great model, you did a splendid job. Thanks for posting the photos and documents.

Hey Lars, I got so involved with the photos and regalia from your grandfather's time that I forgot to say what a nice job you did on that Dornier. I like how you blacked out the side insignias as per how the Luftwaffe did it. The weathering and shading is excellent. Splendid job.

Semper Fi.

Manny