Armies in Miniature: Toy Soldiers

Red Devil

• 2 weeks later...

There is another type of figure out there that falls somewhere between the connoisseur figure painted by master modelers and high end mental "toy" figures that are produced today....they came out of Russia after the collapse of Communisum in the 90's, brought to the states by a former Pan Am pilot. His company AeroArt International, gave the toy soldier community the St Petersburg Collection of historic figures. They are out of Virginia. Painted by Russian artists, the detail is amazing....this is one of my favorites- a Teutonic Knight, that I photographed in the snow one year. The artist of this figure even painted the eyes of the knight visible behind the eye slits on the helm, the inside of the knights cape appears to be a rough leather. They produced ranges that included Greece, Roman, Samurai, Mongols, knights,etc. For a few years other companies started using Russian artists but I don't think they equaled AeroArt's work....I am not sure if they are as popular was they were in the 90's or early 2000's but I have a few of them and like them a lot...espically because I could never paint anything this good on my own.

IMG_2852.JPG

MECHINF-A15

Here is a World War I British 8 inch Howitzer. Have no idea who the maker was (un-marked). Came with spring launched metal shells.

post-185217-0-49309500-1558922232_thumb.jpg

MECHINF-A15

Older versions of the 1:25 scale Elastolin/Preiser Infantry Regiment Standard bearer and "Jingling Johnny" bearer.

Current versions of the Standard bearer (# 56052) has the Wehrmacht eagle with swastikas shown as diamonds with Xs inside!

post-185217-0-54947700-1558922800.jpg

MECHINF-A15

Complete set of the Marx HO scale WARRIORS OF THE WORLD German soldiers.

Marx also did these figures in 1/32 and a larger scale that I no longer can recall.

post-185217-0-66013200-1558923107.jpg

Posts 62-64 shows a Britains Ltd 8" howitzer mounted for field operations...although the company stated it was a model of an 18" howitzer, it was a close model of the 8" gun. The gun was initially a gun metal color, then changed to an olive drab and much later in the production series to a dark green...also the shells were changed to plastic. The toy was actually very powerful and "could range across a living room of the 1930's....and was responsible for the decapitation of many a lead figure.

MECHINF-A15

Dirk,

Thank you for not only relocating my threads but also providing the historical information on the 8" howitzer.

Good job!

All the best,

Mike

Proud Kraut

Aside from the Heavy Machine Gunner on the left these are some figures and toys my dad played with when he was a child. Not in mint condition for sure any more but these were...toys.

Fig01.jpg

Fig03.jpg

Fig02.jpg

Nice to see they stayed in the family! Makes them more special then if one would see them at a show!