kempeitai Enlisted Uniform

SARGE

Gents,

This is an enlisted Summer uniform for a Japanese Military Policeman (kempeitai). I believe the rank is Senior Private but I stand to be corrected. The insignia is hand sewn on in typical Japanese fashion. The MP branch of service designation of the black "squiggle" over the right breast pocket was done away with during the war but continued to be worn along with the kempeitai armband.

I cannot read the stamps inside the tunic. Also, what is the purpose of the buttoned flaps under the arms?

Japanese MP tunic.JPG

Japanese MP collar.JPG

Japanese MP collar tabs.JPG

Japanese MP collar tab L.JPG

Japanese MP insig.JPG

Japanese MP tunic back.JPG

Japanese MP tunic construction.JPG

Japanese MP tunic interior.JPG

Japanese MP markings.JPG

Japanese MP markings close.JPG

The jacket is un-issued and dated Showa 18th year (1943) size large.....the rank is 1st Class Private. The flaps were vents. The "M" or "zig-zag" over the pocket is the enlisted type...officers were a little different.

Thanks for the reply Tiger. Very helpful information as always.

You know, these Japanese uniforms are generally very well made and defy the stereotype of "cheaply" manufactured goods. Here is a tunic made in 1943 that still exhibits careful thought, in the form of air circulation around the body, and tailoring.

The Japanese did the best they could with what they had. Its all a matter of their environment and the materials. It can be seen in the design of many things military. Probably, the best example is basic helmet chin strap material. Basic cloth strapping sewn into a helmet was also used as tie belts on soldiers pants (the pants that would go with your jacket would have a chin strap material belt) and flight suit pants and strapping on back packs and other equipment were all chin strap material. Simple material with many uses. I think one of the things where they went in the other direction that most collectors rarely see are military "FOB's". I'll post a few pictures of some of the FOB's and you'll see how well they were made and most don't even know they exist.

• 1 month later...