Who collects ww2 Iron Crosses?

pvon

Who collects ww2 Iron Crosses?

I have always had a weakness for ww2 German Iron Crosses 2nd class!

For many collectors they are popular and very reasonable for the price!

They make a great collectable and super display,Many collect numbered ones!

I have just recently started picking them up again! Love original ribbons!

I like minty ones but some just have that look!

Frosted is also nice! Some might like the original envelope!

It must have been that movie Cross of Iron with James Colburn!

I believe collectors can enjoy the hunt and never can have to many!

Who likes them and the history?

Lets see some!

I have a show this week and hope to find some!

PVON

post-185193-0-19958700-1554949184_thumb.jpg

Rich

I got 4 beautys! But won't be able to show for a week or so!

Left them at my friends in a case!

Bought them from my friend ED!

PVON

Here is an example of the 57er (1957) version of German WWII medals and awards that were produced after 1957 so serving soldiers and veterans could wear them in public again. These awards were made by the same makers that made the wartime awards but they were de-Nazified by removing the swastika from the award motif. Only specific medals and awards could be worn as specified by German law and political awards such as NSDAP long service awards could not be produced in the 57er format or worn in public with the swastika.

This is a 57er version of the 1939 Iron Cross 1st Class made by Deumer after 1957. As can be seen the pin back award is identical to the wartime version except the swastika motif has been replaced by a sprig of oak leaves. One of the original wartime medal cores is shown next to the new version of the Iron Cross. This award could be worn by Bundeswehr (BW) personnel once again along with any postwar BW awards. As before, these lawful awards could be worn in Germany in the form of the medal itself or in the form of a ribbon bar sporting a miniature of the award.

57 IC1.JPG

EK 57.JPG

EK 57 side.JPG

Skysoldier80

Couldn't agree with you more that they are great for a beginning TR collector. I wouldn't say that I collect them, but I am familiar enough to make sure that get authentic ones for my uniforms.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here is my one and only. I bought it 25 or 30 years ago as more of a representative piece rather than a start of a collection of them. I posted it on a long gone militaria site and it got the thumbs up there. Lets see what you folks think of it. Any comments, criticisms, and if deemed real, info on the cross, maker etc is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

post-185136-0-09456200-1557243536_thumb.jpg

post-185136-0-19068400-1557243563_thumb.jpg

I'll post a shot of the ring in the next post.

Mikie

And here is the ring and suspension. Thanks for looking and for any sage info and advice on my cross!

post-185136-0-73825500-1557243777_thumb.jpg

Mikie

Thanks all for the opinions on my cross. I'm glad it passes muster here. Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly were these worn on the uniform? I know the ribbon was passed through the jacket button, but how was it secured there? Was there a pin or something to hold it in place? I have never seen one actually attached to a uniform in person and don't recall seeing any loose ones with anything other than the open ended ribbons like mine.

Mikie

Thanks for sharing Mikie!

Your IC has that look! Ribbon really shows it! Been there! I like it!

Ribbon is sewed on!

Here is 1 pic!

Sure you could find many!

What number is on IC,Many collectors look at number on ring

and know who made it!

Very popular!

Thanks for showing!

PVON

post-185193-0-87385600-1557349093.jpg

• 1 month later...

And here is the ring and suspension. Thanks for looking and for any sage info and advice on my cross!

attachicon.gifIC Ring 2.jpg

Mikie

If that is stamped 100 (hard to see from the pics for sure) then it was produced by Rudolf Wachtler & Lange. Nice cross!