Faking Helmets

509thPIB

Faking German helmets is nothing new and most of us are aware how the SS helmet collecting world was shaken a few years back.

With that being said, just how rampant are fake helmets among the Camouflage helmets?

How would you rate this two volume set of reference books?

post-185365-0-17418100-1555591699.jpg

post-185365-0-76786500-1555591706.jpg

• 6 months later...

Not sure exactly what you are asking here. Are you insinuating that these books are bad -OR- are you asking if these would be a good reference? The author, Paul Martin, is well known and trusted in TR circles but, as you stated, so was the now dethroned authority, Kelly Hicks. I know Paul personally and have never seen anything fake in his hands or sitting on his table at shows. I have these books in my library but purchased them right before heading overseas(where I am currently) and never looked them over so, I have very little more to offer.

• 1 year later...

Camo Helmets are Among some of the MOST faked third Reich helmets around. Takes handling many of these in person and talking to many experts and gurus to get the hang of it. Getting these books is a good starting point. Paul Martin is a great authority on these and has a nose for good Camo helmets. Nothing beats in person learning about these though and lots and lots of study about what you look for. 
Z

Airborne-Hunter

The vast majority of camouflage helmets are fake. Proving so is another story. In the last twenty years, for a 100 mile radius around a very large metroplex, I have seen three original camouflage helmets come out of the woodwork and have heard, but have yet to see a fourth. At least one of them is not very attractive/noticeable. In the same time frame, at least 50 luftwaffe, luftschutz, Army's, Kriegs, ect have come out. I would approach with extreme caution because, simply put, real camo helmets stay in collections and there is a disproportionate number at shows. 

Keep in mind that collections do break up now and then.  That can bring an apparent, short term flood of rare items to market.  

But, as noticed, it could be a sign that a fake artist is at work.  The smart ones, especially for high value items, release them slow over time.  The greedy ones will just put a dozen up at the same time and claim their similarities just validate each of them.