Early Rhodesian Bush War Uniforms 1965 – 1969 johnwynnehopkins

509thPIB

https://www.google.com/amp/s/johnwynnehopkins.wordpress.com/2015/04/08/early-rhodesian-bush-war-uniforms-1965-1969/amp/

Early Rhodesian Bush War Uniforms 1965 1969

johnwynnehopkins

The new Rhodesian disruptive pattern was issued initially in two shades, which the greener shade finally taking over.

Does anyone own a khaki and brown bush jacket like this?

post-185365-0-17883100-1555777271.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

E978EF7F-3398-4DB4-AE16-252626CE7346.jpeg.8c2eb4fa8ea5dc13de657e0a6581e4d1.jpeg

this is the first pattern of camouflage smock issued to the Rhodesian Police(British South Africa Police) and The Combat Tracker  Unit.

a lightweight cotton jacket with 2 pockets at waist. Slightly longer than the later issue jacket.

282C9167-E96F-42F2-8F46-BD5FFF0219F9.jpeg.b133a91c06855fc9202297f0bd30ddd9.jpeg
this earlier pattern of trousers has just 1 map pocket on the right side, 1 rear pocket and no reinforcement to seat area. 
there are internal slash pockets on each side and a pocket for the field dressing at the front.

You might see a photo of these around the net. There is a photo of John Lovat warring one in the author bio picture in Contact (1)

It may have been made for Allen Savory’s Tracker Combat Unit, a group of territorial soldiers trained in tracking down terroirists after incidents or sightings. The TCU was a top rate unit  operated silently 4 men per det 1 tracking, 2 flank guards and 1 controller. Everyone had to wear shorts and food and survival gear carried in 2 bandoliers, ( hence no top pockets). 7.62 FNFAL and a couple of ammo pouches on a belt a water was carried but it could only be full or dead empty. The photo at the start of this tread is of a tracking team controller as he’s got a radio. These teams could be out for weeks on a follow up. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I actually own an "arid season" jacket as described in the first post.  It is amazingly hard to photograph since the yellow-green is not very different from the base khaki color of the fabric. 

https://kommandopost.com/index.php/2015/09/08/rhodesian-arid-brushstroke-pattern-1960s/

Based on the pattern shapes, jacket cut, and tag (196_, with the last digit blank; I have an early jacket with the same style of tag but with the last digit filled in by hand), I believe the arid version was produced right when the standard, common version of the pattern was made. 

I also have several early pattern combat jackets.  The prints are fairly inconsistent in terms of color order, and in one case print quality, though I've noticed that the pattern shapes on this first pattern are distinct from the common pattern.  
https://kommandopost.com/index.php/2016/05/13/rhodesian-1st-pattern-camouflage-1965-1966/

This is the same print used in the 2-lower pocket version Kia kaha posted.  

On 6/2/2020 at 12:47 AM, Kia kaha said:

E978EF7F-3398-4DB4-AE16-252626CE7346.jpeg.8c2eb4fa8ea5dc13de657e0a6581e4d1.jpeg

this is the first pattern of camouflage smock issued to the Rhodesian Police(British South Africa Police) and The Combat Tracker  Unit.

a lightweight cotton jacket with 2 pockets at waist. Slightly longer than the later issue jacket.

I saw this jacket in this photo of PATU "Black Group" in 1968 (from https://www.bsapgallery.org/piwigo/picture.php?/328/category/115)

Mat_Prov_PATU_Black_Group_end_of_Op_Cosmic_25_April_1968.jpg.2079386e886ed55dbced8914dcf26bf3.jpg

The photo has another interesting BSAP test pattern that later became the Zimbabwe vertical lizard pattern.  It looks very Portuguese, but the pattern shape is very different.  This is the only thread I've ever seen it discussed in detail:https://newrhodesian.ca/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=692

If anyone has any photos of the items in isolation, please post them so we can get a better shot of this very obscure Rhodesian pattern.  

Mat_Prov_PATU_Black_Group_end_of_Op_Cosmic_25_April_1968.jpg

Great pictures!!
I have never seen before.
The lizard is indeed completely different.
I see an arid boonie hat in there.
Years ago I had the sun hat and didn’t know what if was !
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boonie hats were unofficial, the police had them but they were strictly a no no for the S.A.S., although as this photo shows there’s always an exception. 

Ive seen a photo of similar to the ‘Black group’ camo of a terr wearing something similar.

One other point Black Group is a reserve unit in The British South Africa Police, that is a part time unit which operated in a specific area, mainly doing observation duty and follow ups after incidents. Private purchase cammo maybe ? I can make out French camo, khaki drill, B.S.A.P. Riot dress, and the above 2 pocket cammo  over smock.

and a puppy!!!

cheers Tony

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 8:12 PM, KommandoPost said:

I actually own an "arid season" jacket as described in the first post.  It is amazingly hard to photograph since the yellow-green is not very different from the base khaki color of the fabric. 

https://kommandopost.com/index.php/2015/09/08/rhodesian-arid-brushstroke-pattern-1960s/

Based on the pattern shapes, jacket cut, and tag (196_, with the last digit blank; I have an early jacket with the same style of tag but with the last digit filled in by hand), I believe the arid version was produced right when the standard, common version of the pattern was made. 

I also have several early pattern combat jackets.  The prints are fairly inconsistent in terms of color order, and in one case print quality, though I've noticed that the pattern shapes on this first pattern are distinct from the common pattern.  
https://kommandopost.com/index.php/2016/05/13/rhodesian-1st-pattern-camouflage-1965-1966/

This is the same print used in the 2-lower pocket version Kia kaha posted.  

I saw this jacket in this photo of PATU "Black Group" in 1968 (from https://www.bsapgallery.org/piwigo/picture.php?/328/category/115)

Mat_Prov_PATU_Black_Group_end_of_Op_Cosmic_25_April_1968.jpg.2079386e886ed55dbced8914dcf26bf3.jpg

The photo has another interesting BSAP test pattern that later became the Zimbabwe vertical lizard pattern.  It looks very Portuguese, but the pattern shape is very different.  This is the only thread I've ever seen it discussed in detail:https://newrhodesian.ca/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=692

If anyone has any photos of the items in isolation, please post them so we can get a better shot of this very obscure Rhodesian pattern.  

Mat_Prov_PATU_Black_Group_end_of_Op_Cosmic_25_April_1968.jpg

Spoke to a member of Black Group on Friday. he was a bit later 1970s in Bulawayo and Vic Falls, by then the sticks only wore Rhodesian Police Issue Cammo, all private purchase foreign camo was binned. Their opposition was Z.I.P.R.A. So the Mozambique Cammo didn’t work.

9eec6880657040d62059aced80a25c70.jpg
Many many years ago I did a photo shoot of Rhodesian camouflage items in my collection.
I am on the extreme right wearing the hand screened t shirt which I consider the first pattern print unless corrected by a deeper knowledge here.
Also in the background with the radio I put him wearing an Arid cap.
It was a very different cap no doubt.
I hope my work doesn’t suck
Owen

On 11/4/2020 at 7:13 PM, kammo-man said:

9eec6880657040d62059aced80a25c70.jpg
Many many years ago I did a photo shoot of Rhodesian camouflage items in my collection.
I am on the extreme right wearing the hand screened t shirt which I consider the first pattern print unless corrected by a deeper knowledge here.
Also in the background with the radio I put him wearing an Arid cap.
It was a very different cap no doubt.
I hope my work doesn’t suck
Owen

Hi Owen

Here’s my take,

Screen printing a completely assembled khaki tee shirt where available right to the early 80s, these where made in Rhodesia, the variations come about by missing a screen in the process or sometimes turning a screen. Rhodesia had a shortage of bais edging so the neck line and sleeves would just be hemmed in tee shirt material. Calling it first pattern is reasonable, there are other patterns of camo made by different manufacturers at least one screen printed on to complete shirts, another manufacturer used printed cloth to make shirts, this cloth was imported and is not the Rhodesian pattern, more a woodland style. Which came first is hard to pin down as all where used at the same time in different areas. (Remember as collectors we label things, as soldiers they are just cam or shirts)

keep up the good work, cheers

Tony

Thanks for adding that Tony !
Your collection is marvelous.
Do you have any photos of the actual shops that sold the t shirts ?

If you ever find a camouflage air crew vest let me know
I never found one

Best
Owen