WW2 German camo field cap

MattS

I probably should have mentioned I was standing there waiting for a response for the the past hour from anyone, but it's a moot point now as I already left.

I’ve been reading through posts on M43 caps on the WAF for at least a year and still can’t spot real from fake.

I've reached out to a few knowledgeable people and the general consensus is that the splinter cap is an older repro, maybe even a Hollywood prop.

The Meatcan

Seems like with ANY TR item, your default should be that its fake. You damned near need a forensic scientist to make a determination these days.

Terry

Seems like with ANY TR item, your default should be that its fake. You damned near need a forensic scientist to make a determination these days.

Terry

Totally agree which is why I left both of these caps on his table. He had some legit US stuff (WW1-WW2) and maybe some good German stuff, but I don't gamble.

Yep, but I guess it's not. I'm really glad I put it down and posted it instead of buying it first and then posting it.

This is not my field of expertise, but the eagle on the splinter cap seems to be more worn than the rest of the hat. Just basing that on the photo.

The Luftwaffe cap looks really, really squeaky clean...suspiciously so.

I think the consensus is both are repros with the splinter possibly showing the artificial aging of a movie prop. I walked away from them which was a good call.

Thanks for the comments!