Heer splinter camo field cap?

MattS

MECHINF-A15

Matt,

I agree with the consensus that this cap is indeed a fake. Back in the late 70s/early 80s a large number of original WWII zeltbahns became available on the market.

The "repro artist dealers" were taking these and having caps and uniforms made out of them. Some were selling these as fakes to the re-enactors while a few others

tried to pass them as period originals. The cap shown is better than most I have seen and it appears a tropical M41 was used as a "go-by."

Regards,

Mike

Thanks Mike! That would make sense, something made only 30-40 years ago would still have enough age on it to feel convincing.

Looks like they used period insignia as well. As mentioned I would be very careful with these caps. Im sure there are guys still cutting up original material to sell these

Id guess original insignia was easy and cheap enough to use if this was made 30-40 years ago. The eagle was zigzag stitched on and looked real to me, but Im no expert.

Stitching is definitely well done probably has been on there for close to 2 decades. Im sure insignia like that could be bought for nothing back then