Japanese tiger flag - help with inscriptions please

Leo

Hi

This is my 2nd post here on this forum so would firstly like to say hi and secondly would like to ask the members here for some assistance with this flag.

The flag is from a marine grouping from a very good friend of mine, and the family thought it was bought back from Roi Numur.

Its a large flag and looks like it was at one time attached to a large pole.

Can anyone help with the names or inscriptions

Thanks

Leo2018

Good Afternoon Leo,

I am by no means an "expert"....I can't speak to the authenticity of the flag and I know enough to get myself in trouble. There are guy like Dr, Mike Bortner who has written the book on these flags that are far better then I'll ever be. What I can point out is the flag appears to be "home made" as opposed to a production type which is what they (the Japanese) did. The tiger is cool....artwork flags especially with tigers are highly sought after and make a "yoshigaki hinomaru" flag more desirable and are a little more hard to find. The written line far upper right above the tiger is "Ki bun cho kyu" or "everlasting good fortunes in war". This is a common saying found on 90 % of these flags. It is also seen again in picture 3 written vertically large kanji center of picture. Looks a little different likely due to the hand writing. I see many names but what is of interest is on the the vertical line of kanji on the far left....the top word is "kai gun" which is thew Japanese word for "navy". A little more unusual. I think there are other guys on the forum that can help with a better translation. Thanks for posting and good luck with this flag !

tiger 41

Good Afternoon Leo,

I am by no means an "expert"....I can't speak to the authenticity of the flag and I know enough to get myself in trouble. There are guy like Dr, Mike Bortner who has written the book on these flags that are far better then I'll ever be. What I can point out is the flag appears to be "home made" as opposed to a production type which is what they (the Japanese) did. The tiger is cool....artwork flags especially with tigers are highly sought after and make a "yoshigaki hinomaru" flag more desirable and are a little more hard to find. The written line far upper right above the tiger is "Ki bun cho kyu" or "everlasting good fortunes in war". This is a common saying found on 90 % of these flags. It is also seen again in picture 3 written vertically large kanji center of picture. Looks a little different likely due to the hand writing. I see many names but what is of interest is on the the vertical line of kanji on the far left....the top word is "kai gun" which is thew Japanese word for "navy". A little more unusual. I think there are other guys on the forum that can help with a better translation. Thanks for posting and good luck with this flag !

tiger 41

Tiger Thankyou for the information given to me,

The flag came back with a marine, his dog tags and his medals.

This came direct from the family so thats the only history I have, but like yourself I really like this flag.

Looking forward to other members opinions, and I thankyou for the details you have given thus far

That navy connection could be quite an amazing find !

Leo2018

Eric Queen

The characters after Kaigun 海軍 are Taii 大尉 (Lt.) and Fujita 藤田 (surname): 海軍大尉藤田 = Naval Lt. Fujita

The flag was given to Kinami 木南 (* surname) Chikasen 知加選 (** given name)

* This character combination has at least 7 different ways to read it for surnames. Kinami is the most common.

** I have never heard this name before.

The characters after Kaigun 海軍 are Taii 大尉 (Lt.) and Fujita 藤田 (surname): 海軍大尉藤田 = Naval Lt. Fujita

The flag was given to Kinami 木南 (* surname) Chikasan 知加選 (** given name)

* This character combination has at least 7 different ways to read it for surnames. Kinami is the most common.

** I have never heard this name before.

Thanks for the names Eric, some Amazing knowledge there.

So its a naval flag which I find exceptionally cool - is there any other info on places Etc

LT Isamu Fujita was a LT on Iwo Jima and Hisanori Fujita was an Admiral.

Those are the 2 names that popped up, both navy

Eric Queen

This Lt.'s first name was Takanori 尚徳

I would not say it's a Naval flag. Lt. Fujita was just one person who happened to sign it. Perhaps he was home on leave, training, etc. and knew the family. A lot of scenarios.

This Lt.'s first name was Takanori 尚徳

I would not say it's a Naval flag. Lt. Fujita was just one person who happened to sign it. Perhaps he was home on leave, training, etc. and knew the family. A lot of scenarios.

Thanyou for the information,

So the name signed LT Fujita could be the naval LT listed on google. These flags are fascinating

Thats very cool

Really nice flag. Congrats on being the caretaker.

Thanks Thor

Its currently being professionally framed and mounted to preserve its history. Ill show more when finished

Eric Queen

Thanyou for the information,

So the name signed LT Fujita could be the naval LT listed on google. These flags are fascinating

Thats very cool

Did you find Lt. Takanori Fujita on Google? What did it say about him?

This flag was produced by a known faker. People on multiple forums and FB have been tracking everything he produces. People that know him in Texas are taking note of what he is buying. He has destroyed many original flags, towels, and swords. He is making these as well as taking originals and adding artwork. http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986386&page=2

This flag was produced by a known faker. People on multiple forums and FB have been tracking everything he produces. People that know him in Texas are taking note of what he is buying. He has destroyed many original flags, towels, and swords. He is making these as well as taking originals and adding artwork. http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986386&page=2

Sorry to say that this flag is a modern forgery.

Hi and thanks for the opinion,

Can I ask how you know for 100% sure its a modern reproduction as it came from a good friend of mine and also came in a grouping.

Have you seen this flag on a website before

Thanks in advance

Hi Leo, thats correct. this is a modern made fake. The seller is a well known faker on ebay who goes by the name "thesamuraimonkey42". he is also on youtube under the same name. he is a real peice of work. He ruins history with his faked wares. many people have been scammed by this piece of work! He takes ww2 era and post war era flags and writes on them himself, and adds artwork. Either your friend who sold you this, was taken by the 'monkey" or he bought it from someone who was! fact is, its fake, so I guess the bringback story that goes with it, is made up as well. Check it out for yourself!

PG-