My other Japanese flag with a crane

Leo

As I have shown my tiger flag here is my other flag, also from a good friend.

This flag has seen some serious action and sadly is heavily blood stained through out. It also looks like shrapnel damage has ripped through certain parts,

Its colouring and ageing throughout show this in my opinion to be a prayer flag that was actually carried into battle and taken by a marine as a trophy.

A stunning piece I have had framed with museum grade glass and acid free backing to preserve for future generations.

Any help on the writing or names would be very fantastic

That reflected image makes a great selfie. You should consider using it for your avatar on here.

Excellent example of a flag as well.

That reflected image makes a great selfie. You should consider using it for your avatar on here.

Excellent example of a flag as well.

Thanks GWB

Ill add it to my avatar

The more I look at this flag, the more the crane bothers me. It looks much fresher than all the other writing. Hope you didnt buy it from the monkey! It may have been one of his add ons!

PG-

Hi Leo,

To the left of the crane: = Victory

Right side of the flag, vertical: looks like a slogan that ends with “久” but I’m not good enough to read it.

Often the recipient’s name end with “Kun” (something like “young master”) but if it’s there I don’t see it.

Obviously most of the writing on the flag is the signatures of well-wishers. Two names on the left side (you can probably guess which ones):

山村 勇 Yamamura Yuuichi

沖田 賢三 Okita Kenzou

BTW, what’s the tape for?

Cheers!

Hi Paul,

The crane looks good to me, not sure what you're seeing.

Rod

Hi Leo,

To the left of the crane: = Victory

Right side of the flag, vertical: looks like a slogan that ends with but Im not good enough to read it.

Often the recipients name end with Kun (something like young master) but if its there I dont see it.

Obviously most of the writing on the flag is the signatures of well-wishers. Two names on the left side (you can probably guess which ones):

山村 勇 Yamamura Yuuichi

沖田 賢三 Okita Kenzou

BTW, whats the tape for?

Cheers!

Hi Paul,

The crane looks good to me, not sure what you're seeing.

Rod

Thanks Rod for the info

IMHO none of this looks like samurai monkeys work, the crane looks to good for him and the lines are very well drawn. Since he has come to my attention I have studied his crap in detail and now see the tell tale signs.

The whole of this flag has correct ageing and the blood on it is unmistakable imho.

Nothing of his looks like this

Thanks again for all the comments

Ps good spot on the tape , I just moved house and was boxing up items for the attic

Eric Queen

Rod,

I think the shou is part of hisshou 必勝 "certain victory"

The ku is part of a female name Kiku (one of the well wishers)

I am certainly no expert on Japanese flags (or on this person making the fakes) but I have seen a fair amount of original material over the years and, from the images provided, the piece does not look messed with/enhanced to me

vintageproductions

Eric- The "Monkey" person they are referring to was also known as Cupman.

He lived in Japan the same time you were there and was always at the flea markets.

If he bought three things at the same show, and even if they were three different branches of service, they would become a grouping.

I had a run in with him a couple of times at Togo-jinga market.

Rod,

I am certainly no expert on Japanese flags (or on this person making the fakes) but I have seen a fair amount of original material over the years and, from the images provided, the piece does not look messed with/enhanced to me

Thanks once again Eric for your great translation on the flag.

All help here has been greatly appreciated

He lived in Japan the same time you were there and was always at the flea markets.

If he bought three things at the same show, and even if they were three different branches of service, they would become a grouping.

The guy seems like a real piece of work ! Thank goodness people caught on to him and have taken the time to expose him

Thankyou all

Rod,

Thanks Eric, I certainly missed "Certain" (duh).

I see "Kiku" now with your help but probably shouldn't have bothered with it in the first place. I can usually sort out most Japanese handwriting but grass writing... nope!

Thanks again, I appreciate the assist!

Rod

Thanks Rod for the info

IMHO none of this looks like samurai monkeys work, the crane looks to good for him and the lines are very well drawn. Since he has come to my attention I have studied his crap in detail and now see the tell tale signs.

The whole of this flag has correct ageing and the blood on it is unmistakable imho.

Nothing of his looks like this

Thanks again for all the comments

Ps good spot on the tape , I just moved house and was boxing up items for the attic

Leo, IMO your flag is a classic one looker. Clearly signed by a number of different hands, I'd be comfortable with its authenticity if it were mine. That's a great frame for it too!

vintageproductions quote:

Never hurts to be reminded there are Cupman's in this world... thanks for posting vintageproductions!

Cheers!

Leo, IMO your flag is a classic one looker. Clearly signed by a number of different hands, I'd be comfortable with its authenticity if it were mine. That's a great frame for it too!

Never hurts to be reminded there are Cupman's in this world... thanks for posting vintageproductions!

Cheers!

Thanks Rod

Ive been speaking with Michael Bortner who has been very kind in looking over the photos and is as of the same mind of the flag being correct.

His exact phrases

Based upon the photographs, your framed flag appears to be a nice, vintage good luck flag. I see numerous signatures, slogans and terrific inked drawing of what appears to be a crane; all make your flag quite historically interesting

Thanks Rod

This flag was on ebay sometime around February. What people need to realize is the monkey is not just making all of them from scratch. He has taken nice one looker originals and added artwork to raise the return. I honestly cannot remember if he was the seller of the crane flag but he may have been. Leo, what was your friends response to all this? Why make up the grouping story?

Hello Bob, are you positive this is cupman? Have you watched the monkeys videos on youtube? Both are criminals. Cupman's stuff is easy to spot. The monkey is pretty good and getting better all the time.