Help with Cut Signature of Richard Mayne

mikie

This cut signature ID'd to Richard Mayne was in a small bundle of mostly 19th century British paper items I bought many years ago. They were thrown in as extras to something I bought. This is the only one I haven't nailed down yet and thought I'd throw it out here to see if anyone can help. There are only 2 significant Richard Maynes that come up on an internet search. One was Commissioner of the London Metropolitan Police from 1829–1868. The other was his son who was a royal Navy Admiral and explorer who died in 1892.

post-185136-0-44873600-1557850410_thumb.jpg

I have no idea if this signature is of either gentleman, or neither. If one of them, I'd guess the Admiral. Thanks in advance if anyone can solve this one.

Mikie

Bob Hudson

That is Sir Richard Mayne's signature. Here's a known signature from an auction sale:

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 9.28.32 AM.png

Thanks Bob. I'm no autograph expert but looks like some similarities and some differences. It could be him.

Regards,

Mikie

Bob Hudson

It could be him.

I have sold a lot of signatures/autographs and I have no doubts these are the same person. Few people sign their names identically every time, but this certainly has more than enough similarities.

mayne.jpg

stratasfan

I'd agree. Same guy. Sis and I do fanmail, and autographs are never identical. That means it was traced. -grin- Or autopen. As this is obviously not autopen . . . -grin- . . . I say it is the same! Cool thing to get!

Sorry Sir Richard isn't too relevant here as his son would have been. But still historically cool. But what really amazed me is that something that has had me wondering for years (not that I was losing sleep over it or anything) was solved here in under an hour. Heck with "the force", May the Forum be with you!

Mikie