Company Field Tailor/Tailor Made Camouflage Uniforms

MECHINF-A15

MECHINF-A15

After commenting on the camo field cap that MattS provided photos of in the TR Headgear section. I recalled the attached photo.

This photo was sent to me by a late friend who served as a Feldwebel in 1./Panzerpionier-Btl. 16 (until severely wounded

in 1944 on the Eastern Front.)

Shown holding his dog is Hauptfeldwebel Megan who was "Der Spiess" of 1st Kompanie.

Hauptfeldwebel Megan and a number of 1st Kompanie NCOs and men while in Salerno Italy (pre-invasion) had an Italian tailor

produce pullover jackets made from Italian camouflage material. These jackets had a fall collar, partial zipper front,

two pleated patch chest pockets, banded cuffs with a wide band at the waist so it could be worn over a shirt and tucked

into the trousers. Loops and buttons were sewn to the shoulders so slip-on shoulder straps could be worn.

I invite others with period photographs of non-regulation camo to post them as well.

Regards,

Mike

post-185217-0-74300300-1557883042.jpg

This is what makes these tailor/field made camouflage uniforms so scary. It is nearly impossible to say when these were constructed. I have photograph albums with lots of these shown in wear.

Here active duty police troops wear Heer camo zelts and one wears a havlock on his cap.

Zeltbahn.jpg

MECHINF-A15

Thank you SARGE for your posting! Made me realize I never thought about what types of zeltbahn Police troops were issued. :wacko:

All the best,

Mike

MECHINF-A15

This press release photograph shows two Sturmartillerie or Panzerjäger members in Italy. The Unteroffizier in the foreground wears a reed green, 1st pattern Panzer

wrapper. On his steel helmet he has attached a swatch of camouflage material held in place by a wire band.

The soldier behind him wearing the Sturmartillere wrapper wears a billed camouflage cap. This cap was more than likely the product of the Company field tailor.

post-185217-0-68767900-1557969177.jpg

MECHINF-A15

SARGE,

As a further note, I agree that collecting non-regulation camouflage items is like "walking through a mine field" these days! Especially without provenance!

30-35 years ago I obtained (from a very reliable source) a tailor made M36 cut tunic made from Italian camouflage material. No insignia was ever applied

only loops and buttons on the shoulders for officer style shoulder boards.

Mike

Mike,

IMHO, every uniform cannot be perfectly manufactured, even those items that came from a factory much less from a company tailor or even a professional tailor shop. Just look at lowly Wehrmacht Officer uniforms. They were almost all made by tailors since the officer had to buy them himself. Some collectors are "stitch counters" and will only buy what appear to be large factory manufacture uniforms, or items of issue. One has to collect what you like and what you are personally comfortable with. Of course the problem with "collecting by consensus" is that some original items will get overlooked. The other problem is that when you go to sell such an item many collectors will not buy a company field tailor/tailor made item that is not in a book. Camouflage is particularly subject to scrutiny and criticism and I fear we collectors will often disagree on particular items. Mostly the scary and/or expensive ones.

I tend to use the "three strikes and you are out" rule. One or two red flags, such as uneven stitching or a replaced button, I can still have a lower level of confidence in. But the third red flag is the third strike and I don't buy the item. Every collector has their own way of "walking through the mine field" of this hobby and if it works for them, then I say good for them.

Oh well... I have been collecting this stuff since the 1950s and I still enjoy it. However, I gave up golf (because I was not having any fun) in the 1970s and still don't miss it today.

My motto is if it is not fun why are you still doing it? ;)

MECHINF-A15

SARGE,

BIG ROGER THAT and very well stated! My very first piece as an eight year old kid in1957 was a mint, single decal Luftwaffe M35 steel helmet, size 53.

My Dad paid a whole $15.00 for it at Jackson Arms in Dallas, Texas. With that I was hooked and have been ever since.

All the best,

Mike