X5 IJN NAGATO COAT- USN SOUVENIR

BEAST

This Petty Officer's coat was brought home by Vernon Ooley, from whom I purchased it. Nagato was Yamamoto's flag ship for the attack on Pearl Harbor. On 25 July 1946, as part of the Operation Crossroads test, she was badly damaged by an underwater explosion and sank 5 days later. Ooley was part of the crew that went aboard the Nagato to ready it for the test.

post-185187-0-38716200-1558117147.jpg

post-185187-0-95021400-1558117140.jpg

post-185187-0-57183900-1558117134.jpg

As I recall, the "Nagato" was just about the last Japanese "capital" ship still somewhat afloat at the end of the war. When I was a kid a friend's father had a naval rising sun flag hanging in his garage. It was big, about 15 (maybe a little more) long. His father had taken it from the flag locker on the Nagato and painted in silver paint was his father's name and the date and the Nagato on the flag's hinomaru. Your jacket is cool....the name patch is typical navy and my limited Japanese indicates 2nd Class Petty Officer with his name below. The red stripe could indicate he was medical corps but it also could mean just about anything or nothing. At that stage of the war the Japanese were doing a lot of odd things on patches and uniforms most of which we may never understand. Is the quartermaster's stamp on the inside of the jacket filled out or dated ? Looks to be a great piece.

Eric Queen

The rank is 二曹 (nisou) and the name is 柳澤 (Yazawa, Yagisawa, Yagizawa, Yanasawa, Yanazawa, Yanagisawa or Yanagizawa. All written exactly the same way/same Kanji)

As I recall, the "Nagato" was just about the last Japanese "capital" ship still somewhat afloat at the end of the war. When I was a kid a friend's father had a naval rising sun flag hanging in his garage. It was big, about 15 (maybe a little more) long. His father had taken it from the flag locker on the Nagato and painted in silver paint was his father's name and the date and the Nagato on the flag's hinomaru. Your jacket is cool....the name patch is typical navy and my limited Japanese indicates 2nd Class Petty Officer with his name below. The red stripe could indicate he was medical corps but it also could mean just about anything or nothing. At that stage of the war the Japanese were doing a lot of odd things on patches and uniforms most of which we may never understand. Is the quartermaster's stamp on the inside of the jacket filled out or dated ? Looks to be a great piece.

Thanks for sharing the story about your friends father. Sounds like a great souvenir!

I will check the interior of the jacket for the stamp and post what I find.

The rank is 二曹 (nisou) and the name is 柳澤 (Yazawa, Yagisawa, Yagizawa, Yanasawa, Yanazawa, Yanagisawa or Yanagizawa. All written exactly the same way/same Kanji)

Eric Queen, thank you for the translation. Seems like a challenging language.

Eric Queen

Photo 1 = The first character looks like roku 六 (the number 6), the second and third are his last name 柳澤 (see above), bottom character is Taira (given name)

Photo 2 = most likely the same thing but cannot say for sure. Too distorted (for me to read)